agnes 1972

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
I was going through som eold slides and found a couple of pics of the flood during hurricane agnes in phoenixville.
My father was a memeber of the water rescue unit for one of the local fire companies.

agnes5.jpg

agnes4.jpg

agnes3.jpg

agnes2.jpg

agnes1.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was a Very Intresting Year.

I don't think Anyplace in PA escaped that one

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Wow! They are some cool pics Justine! I can't tell you how many times I've driven over that bridge. I have one to add from just up the river. This is just over a block away from my house.

Attachments

• SCC%20-%20Schuylkill%20Flood%20of%201972.jpg
    SCC%20-%20Schuylkill%20Flood%20of%201972.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,294
OP
OP
justine093

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
wow....makes you wonder when it will happen again!
(I had not seen photos from anywhere but phoenixville)

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I remember how wet things were in 1972, thanks to Agnes. I've detected a site that is still feeling the effects, too. I was 10 years old in '72, and remember cars being stuck in mud at a church camp nearby. To remedy this situation in future years, loads of slag were brought in and dumped on the parking area, then spread. After I got a metal detector, in 2004, I took it over to the camp. I found lots of silver and wheats around the camp, then started getting iron signals that masked anything good in the parking area. I know there has to be some old silver beneath, but it will never be found unless someone decides to plow it up! The parking area is, essentially, iron. For a site that started operating in the mid-50's, I did pretty well. Two Walkers, a Merc, Roseys and silver Washingtons, plus lots of wheats, clad and a few rings.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Here's a few links to some photo pages of "Agnes" flood damage pictures, from up here in the Wilkes-Barre area.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~nepaphotos/pictures_from_hurricane_agnes.htm
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~nepaphotos/morepictures_from_hurricane_agnes.htm

In the past 3 years or so, I've aquired TONS of Agnes info, (pictures, newspapers, magazines, books, reports, etc.) mostly from local estate sales. Stuff people had in their attics for years.
Pretty weird about the whole Forty fort cemetery disaster. 2700 graves washed out, and spread all over the place. Only 1400 were ever recovered. Last year I went to the estate sale of the former Luzerne county coroner who was in charge of the task of trying to identify all those bodies.
I know several people who had caskets and bodies in their backyards. I've also found human bones while detecting in areas near there, (that upon contacting the autorities), were determined to be from the cemetery, and returned. :o. No Joke! I had a human femur on my front seat!

OP
OP
justine093

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
that's just crazy!
If you have any neat pics that truely stand out,
I would love to see them!
can you post them?

I understand the previous large flood to affect the area would
have been 1902? Maybe even 1913, the year of the 'national calamity'?
(I think that was mostly western pennsylvania)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread