What's new

airbase button

aa battery

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
10,646
Reaction score
3,258
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found a few of these but cant find umm on the net :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • umm 001.webp
    umm 001.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 236
NATO? When I was in Libya in the 1960s, NATO had a big operation across the Med Sea at Rome, Italy. That looks familiar, but perhaps I am not remembering accurately? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
NATO? When I was in Libya in the 1960s, NATO had a big operation across the Med Sea at Rome, Italy. That looks familiar, but perhaps I am not remembering accurately? Monty
its from a WW2 Army airbase. Could it be from a womans uniform?
 
Upvote 0
I just looked and now NATO uses a 4 point star as an emblem, but I am sure it is an old peace keeping insignial of some kind. Wish I could see what's in the middle. I remember something surrounded with olive branches as a symbol of peace in the 1960s. I give up for now. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
I just looked and now NATO uses a 4 point star as an emblem, but I am sure it is an old peace keeping insignial of some kind. Wish I could see what's in the middle. I remember something surrounded with olive branches as a symbol of peace in the 1960s. I give up for now. Monty
thanks :)
 
Upvote 0
Ok, haven't given up, United Nations uses several symbols that have a design in the middle surrounded by olive branches. Monty
 
Upvote 0
That is a metal button from the old styled fatigues. That's back when the pants used buttons and not zippers to close the "flap". The buttons for the shirt fronts, cuffs, and pocket flaps and all the pants' buttons matched. The older styled were metal with a recessed center where the button holes would be protected from scuffing that would wear out the threads holding the button in place. Then, they were updated to the flush faced styled with many stars. These metal styles were replaced with thick plastic ones in all areas; later the buttons to hold the pants front "flap" was replaced with a zipper.

This button could easily be from a WW 1 uniform. That's how far back the design goes.


Alternately, this one MIGHT be from an old pair of Levi 505's. :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Shortstack said:
That is a metal button from the old styled fatigues. That's back when the pants used buttons and not zippers to close the "flap". The buttons for the shirt fronts, cuffs, and pocket flaps and all the pants' buttons matched. The older styled were metal with a recessed center where the button holes would be protected from scuffing that would wear out the threads holding the button in place. Then, they were updated to the flush faced styled with many stars. These metal styles were replaced with thick plastic ones in all areas; later the buttons to hold the pants front "flap" was replaced with a zipper.

This button could easily be from a WW 1 uniform. That's how far back the design goes.


Alternately, this one MIGHT be from an old pair of Levi 505's. :laughing7: :laughing7:
ok i have found older stuff at the site like this WW1 flare gun
 

Attachments

  • SANY1181.webp
    SANY1181.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 153
  • SANY1181.webp
    SANY1181.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom