What's new

Altered 1840 or 1849 US Large Cent OTWBTTC.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2017
Messages
1,528
Reaction score
4,700
Golden Thread
3
Location
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another long hunt today. 5 hours and I had a Rosie and a pocket knife for my efforts. Was walking back to my buddy to tell him I was done for the day when I came over a nice 92 to 94 on the Manticore. Much to my surprise it was a large cent! I've only found 5 over the last 10 years. 4 or 5 years since my last one I think. Very happy to have found that today. In a public park of all places. Got home and gave it a little toothpicking. Then I noticed someone changed the "E" in cent to a "U" ha!
20260411_135954.webp

20260411_135925.webp

Gonna probably leave it the way it is for now. Im happy with it. Thanks for looking. Good luck out there and happy hunting!
 
Upvote 17
Congratulations on the unusual large cent. I found one exactly like it only in a little better condition about 6 years ago. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
 
Awesome! You’ve got a brothel coin.
Something along the lines of the madam of the house would sell these to the suitors, who in turn would turn in the “token” to the working girl for services rendered. The girls would turn in their tokens for proof of the work performed, then getting their stipend on payday.
 
Nice Large Cent and in a public park of all places. Like you I kind of like the look of it now but say you did want to clean it up just a tat bit more for the heck of it how would you clean it just wondering?
 
Nice Large Cent and in a public park of all places. Like you I kind of like the look of it now but say you did want to clean it up just a tat bit more for the heck of it how would you clean it just wondering?
You should be able to see more detail buy going nice and easy with "Andre Pencils".
 
Nice Large Cent and in a public park of all places. Like you I kind of like the look of it now but say you did want to clean it up just a tat bit more for the heck of it how would you clean it just wondering?
Thanks scavenger. Yeah I was very surprised when it showed up. I stopped cleaning because I've had poor results in the past. I've tired olive oil and q-tips, hydrogen peroxide etc. Thinking of ordering some Andres Pencils as mentioned by Etrac and giving that a go.
 
Awesome! You’ve got a brothel coin.
Something along the lines of the madam of the house would sell these to the suitors, who in turn would turn in the “token” to the working girl for services rendered. The girls would turn in their tokens for proof of the work performed, then getting their stipend on payday.
Thanks BWD! I kinda figured that this was a possibility. I also have heard that people made them just for fun. The park i found it in was a farm field up until about 100 years ago but its on an older side of town so anything is possible.
 
There will never be gradable numismatic value from coins like this. Value perhaps based on rarity and age and what not, but NOT condition.

Take the finest proof coin with minty luster and subject it to these same conditions and the result will be the same.

Fear not to spruce it up. I'd recommend a quick soak in vinegar followed by soft toothbrush with dawn dish soap and proceed as necessary from there until it meets you desires.

You can't hurt the value nor beauty of coins like this.
 
There will never be gradable numismatic value from coins like this. Value perhaps based on rarity and age and what not, but NOT condition.

Take the finest proof coin with minty luster and subject it to these same conditions and the result will be the same.

Fear not to spruce it up. I'd recommend a quick soak in vinegar followed by soft toothbrush with dawn dish soap and proceed as necessary from there until it meets you desires.

You can't hurt the value nor beauty of coins like this.
Thanks for the input sir. Im definitely in this hobby for the thrill of what might be in the next hole. I'd never sell any of my finds. I just like to add to my personal household museum. I may give vinegar a try on something else first as I've never tried that process before. At the end of the day my finds tell a story both that of fact and of make believe. Good luck out there.
 
Thanks for the input sir. Im definitely in this hobby for the thrill of what might be in the next hole. I'd never sell any of my finds. I just like to add to my personal household museum. I may give vinegar a try on something else first as I've never tried that process before. At the end of the day my finds tell a story both that of fact and of make believe. Good luck out there.

Others may dislike my idea. Me personally I like things to look as nice as possible, if appropriate. And in a case like this, why not? Whatever worx for u :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom