Am I being anal? Should I worry about this?

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, as I was cleaning up my ATP after a quick romp through the woods I noticed a "chip" in the epoxy on my 5x8 coil (there on the front edge) when I took the coil cover off to rinse it. Is this a concern? I dunno if it was there from the factory or what. I don't recall smacking it against any terrain, stumps etc. but, perhaps I did? At any rate, the detector seems to work fine...at least to this noob! Is this a common occurrence and I need to just calm down?!

ETA: Sorry for the crappy resolution - crappy cell phone.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty common for epoxy filled coils...Myself i use the 12 dollar cover and have never had that problem

OP
OP
PullTabProphet

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I keep the coil cover on 24/7. When I noticed it; was when I took the cover off. As long as it doesn't effect anything I guess all is well...

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coil will still work fine. But be aware, now that it has a chip it will continue to grow that much easier each time you smack it on the ground, a rock, tree stump, fence, etc. Just as DustyTrails stated, buy a cover for it and with care the coil should last a while.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think you could just fill the small chip with epoxy never had any problems with a cover already on thats pretty strange

OP
OP
PullTabProphet

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm thinking that maybe there was an air bubble trapped under/in the epoxy as it dried and the first slight bump it chipped off or perhaps the epoxy stuck out a little past the lip and when I grabbed the cover to pull it off; my fingernail caught it etc. Eh, whatever...as long as it won't diminish performance I guess I'm cool with it. I'll just keep an eye on it. What kind of epoxy would I want to get if I chose to do a DIY repair? The factory epoxy reminds me of JB Weld.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get some general purpose epoxy from the hardware store

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I use marine epoxy. You want water proof epoxy, other wise if you're using it in the water lots, the general epoxy will crack off faster than the marine epoxy. Go to a boat or marine shop and ask them.

OP
OP
PullTabProphet

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys for all the input. Yes Irish, I think that sounds good and I have a marina right down the road.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you stay away from the five minute cure epoxy, check the label to see it is waterproof. Marine epoxy is going to be expensive. I would stay away from JB-Weld as it has some metal in it.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys for all the input. Yes Irish, I think that sounds good and I have a marina right down the road.

West Systems slow-cure epoxy rules!! Gotta roughen up the chip a little, clean with acetone. A little drop of epoxy, and you can put a piece of wax paper over it to maintain a flat surface, the wax paper won't stick when the epoxy cures.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not also call Garrett and start a "papertrail" with the factory since it is a suspected factory defect and since your a newbie so I guess your ATPro is then too. It may still be covered by warranty and Garrett is real good with their warranty.

OP
OP
PullTabProphet

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good Idea...I'll give 'em a call today.

OP
OP
PullTabProphet

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...I called and spoke to Mrs. Mary @ Garrett. I spoke with her regarding the chipped coil issue and explained to her that it wasn't causing problems that I could tell and, wasn't even sure if it was delivered like that from the factory but just wanted to know if it was something I should worry about. She didn't even bat an eye - "I'll just send you out another 5x8 coil let me get your address and serial#"

WOW IMPRESSIVE customer care right there! I even asked her ; "Would you like me to send this one back?" Her reply was "No, just throw it away or if it works, keep it and use it".

They definitely locked me down as a repeat customer. :thumbsup:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have very good service that happens all the time ...nothing like a free coil ;-)

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PullTabProphet

Hee, Hee, Hee!!! Hate to say it, but "I Told Ya So"!!! They are super good in customer service and help in general.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As for a brand name of Epoxy the I have used for over 30 years with no ill affects is the PC-7 two part. It is waterproof, can be filed, drilled and tapped. It is also slow cure and has a very high viscosity, it will not drip or sag. Clean area well. IF you use acetone...ONLY DAMPEN a Q-tip with it and DO NOT drip it anywhere you do not want to mar the surface. Mix the PC-7 per instructions -50/50. It will be gray. Apply and mold to conform to the contour. I also use this epoxy on all my coil covers when they wear thin. It doubles to quadruples the live span of the covers.

It never hurts to have a spare!

relish

Mar 28, 2013
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
ATPRO......Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep using the one with the chip ......if and when it causes any problems you have a brand new backup.

Stealth digger

Jun 2, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO & minelab pro 25 pointer. Other items I carry with me are a Yaesu VX 7 radio, maglit XL 50 , classic swiss army knife, solid brass Zippo, Gerber saw & Knife.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear that the customer service is that great. I put a new coil cover on any new coil and then wrap it with electrical tape to add some life to it. No interference and the coil cover will last so much longer.

Sent from out of the shadows

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread