Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I absolutely love the ax. Amazing that it has no rust on it - did you clean it any before posting or is this the way it came out of the water? BTW, I found 2 ax heads on a colonial site yesterday. Haven't cleaned them up yet.

OP
OP
CanDiver

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely love the ax. Amazing that it has no rust on it - did you clean it any before posting or is this the way it came out of the water? BTW, I found 2 ax heads on a colonial site yesterday. Haven't cleaned them up yet.
Hi, It was black and thick with scale when it came out. I couldn't see a makers mark and almost left it down there. The scale came off pretty easily and then the name appeared. J

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How do you know it's 1812? I do see a fleur de lis maybe French? I think maybe Geo. used it to chop the cherry tree, then disposed of it? or maybe Lizzis Borden?

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How do you know it's 1812? I do see a fleur de lis maybe French? I think maybe Geo. used it to chop the cherry tree, then disposed of it? or maybe Lizzie Borden?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a terrific piece of history :occasion14:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on finding a great axe and for making the BANNER! Breezie

Michigander Dan

Mar 11, 2012
Water Wonderland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett Pinpointer pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An incredible find and hard to believe you found it w/ half the handle still on it and wood survived!:treasurechest:

OP
OP
CanDiver

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got some info from a member. Stones and Ash made axes in England and their company dissolved in 1812. I will post the full info when I get it. Thanks Treasurenet!!

OP
OP
CanDiver

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got some info from a member. Stones and Ash made axes in England and their company dissolved in 1812. I will post the full info when I get it. Thanks Treasurenet!!

Hi, The Axe is for sure 1812. Here is the info supplied by a tresurenet member. Yahoo! Thanks View attachment 624892

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, The Axe is for sure 1812. Here is the info supplied by a tresurenet member. Yahoo! Thanks View attachment 624892

Great source material, but still confused why you think it was either made or lost in 1812. 1812 would be the last year of production, thats all, then its got to travel there etc. Or it was made in some period before 1812, ie when was the makers mark first used?

OP
OP
CanDiver

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great source material, but still confused why you think it was either made or lost in 1812. 1812 would be the last year of production, thats all, then its got to travel there etc. Or it was made in some period before 1812, ie when was the makers mark first used?
Hi, I knew it was 1812 because of where I found it. This info just proves it for me. Its always nice to have a name. J

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I knew it was 1812 because of where I found it. This info just proves it for me. Its always nice to have a name. J

OK cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread