Amazing coin found at Bastogne in Belgium

bastognee

Dec 21, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbee here, my name is Pierre and I live near famous Bastogne in Belgium. Most of my leisure time is dedicated to hunting relics of the battle of the bulge. Recently I stumble upon this coin ring lost by an american soldier in a fox-hole near Bastogne and thought some pics were worth to be posted here.

Ot was made from a british 2 shilling coin of 1942.

Enjoy.

ps : I'm using a garrett gti 2500 ... but with the tremendous amounts of shell splinters here, I often have false positive signals, anyway, it's a great detector in my opinion.

thanks for this GREAT website.

Pierre

Attachments

• ringo1.jpg
    ringo1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 2,394
  • ringo2.jpg
    ringo2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 2,858
Upvote 0

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you still get on her and read this please let us see more pics and if you found the family!

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Hi Pierre,

Welcome to the site and thank you for posting your story. You brought Thomas Gent back to life to finish the story of his life. This is why we should do what we can to reunite personal finds with the owners or, in some cases, their loved ones. There is so much more true value in our efforts and satisfaction when we can complete the journey of a long lost item.

Thank You so much!

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Great post and video. A good friend of the family's younger brother died during that battle and is one of very few bodies to have never been recovered. I went to the cemetary in the Ardennes area a few years ago when I was stationed in Germany and made a video tape for her and found her brother's name ranked among the many. Sadly, she passed this january, but I'll never forget her expressions while watching that video. If anyone gets a chance to go to that area, I highly recommend it, it's truly an amazing place of history.

JW

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding find on the ring. A coin would be great enough, but that puts a person at the site. I can imagine someone bored for hours, terrified the other half of the time and burning off the restless energy making that ring by tapping it on the side of his bayonet.

gollum said:

"A man that eloquent deserves to be rescued"

G.S. Patton.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions