What's new

An easy fossil hunt

scotto

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
278
Golden Thread
0
Location
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yesterday it finally warmed out, so Fossis took me out thru the mountains and we had another day of adventure. He is a walking history encyclopedia of his area, and we drove around, and scanned the roadsides of recently graded roads for fossils that pop out, and we did pretty good. Sure was the easiest fossiling trip I'd been on, to just drive along slowly and stop the truck when we saw one! ;D

mar2.jpg

And here's one just sittin' there, waitin for us to pick it up.......
mar3.jpg

And here's my take after they've been cleaned up.
mar7.jpg


Couldn't beat the company, had a good time.
 
Nice, its never that easy where I hunt. Are those all plant fossils?
 
Muddy Feet said:
Are those all plant fossils?

Yes they are. The dimpled ones are Stigmaria, which resembled a Sago palm, which is a Cicad.

The other kind is Calamite, which was sort of bamboo-like. I believe they both had fern type leaves on them.
 
The day was beautiful, & the 'fossils' were Easy. :thumbsup:
Here's what i came home with, plus a (mystery), an Oyster shell, (not fossilized).

Fossis....................
 

Attachments

  • cattle 003.webp
    cattle 003.webp
    57.3 KB · Views: 579
  • cattle 004.webp
    cattle 004.webp
    51 KB · Views: 581
  • cattle 005.webp
    cattle 005.webp
    57.2 KB · Views: 561
  • cattle 006.webp
    cattle 006.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 561
  • cattle 003.webp
    cattle 003.webp
    57.3 KB · Views: 572
  • cattle 004.webp
    cattle 004.webp
    51 KB · Views: 573
  • cattle 005.webp
    cattle 005.webp
    57.2 KB · Views: 564
  • cattle 006.webp
    cattle 006.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 567
You guys had a great hunt. They are very interesting finds. Looks like they came from a museum
Thanks for sharing.
TnMountains
 
TnMountains said:
You guys had a great hunt. They are very interesting finds. Looks like they came from a museum
Thanks for sharing.
TnMountains

Thanks Tennessee, we have 'coal deposits' in this area, & plant fossils are numerous, I have collected for years, & traded them to rock shops for other minerals & rocks.

Fossis..............
 
fossis said:
TnMountains said:
You guys had a great hunt. They are very interesting finds. Looks like they came from a museum
Thanks for sharing.
TnMountains

Thanks Tennessee, we have 'coal deposits' in this area, & plant fossils are numerous, I have collected for years, & traded them to rock shops for other minerals & rocks.

Hey fossis

I lease a bunch of land here in south east Tennessee. We have a lot of old coal strip mines in the mountains I lease. I did by chance find a fossil along an old road bed one day. I think it would be a fun day to go back up to them by 4 wheeler and look for fossils.Do you have any advice? Some of the pits are still open with the old rail tracks and cedar poles holding up the ceilings.I stay out of them though.
How would you suggest I hunt? I am an artifact surface hunter soooo I have the eyes,lol Thank you for your time.
TnMountains
I will post my fossil on here for you all to evaluate.
Fossis..............
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom