supersounder
Jr. Member
- #1
Thread Owner
Greetings all. I have only been detecting for five and a half months and started out with the Minelab Vanquish 540 and after 3 months I had found enough good finds and was having so much fun doing it that I decided to go all out and to upgrade to the Minelab Manticore. This has taken quite a bit of effort to get used to but I think I have optimised the settings now for NZ beach conditions. Hope to do better on those elusive GOLD items now. Think I had the recovery speed way too high and same for the upper ferrous limits. Am running on beach low conductors setting with upper ferrous limit set to 6 and the lower to zero with the recovery speed set to 3-5 depending on individual beach conditions. Finding I can pick up a 3-4mm round piece of aluminium at about 10 inches depth no problem so it should now pick up better on the goodies I think.
The score so far is 9 stainless rings 9 gold rings mostly small 13 925 silver rings 1 pandora silver bracelet with charms 2 titanium rings 1 22k fine bracelet and $192.00 in coins. And a heap of junk jewellery. Bottle tops, aluminium can floss. pull tabs and pop rivet heads I have discovered are to be the bane of the detectorists life LOL.
We don't have the long history that many countries have but one of the beaches turns up a lot of .577 Enfield 1833 musket projectiles and I found a pin shaped like an arrow that had the initials for the New Zealand steam ship company stamped on it along with the name of the ship it came from. A bit of research showed the ship had been active for transport during the war and was de- commissioned in 1964. Those along with an 1897 Ha'penny are my oldest finds so far.
My attitude is at 72 years of age is that a bad days detecting still beats a good day at work by a country mile and the good days are just awesome!!!!
A bad days detecting is just one day closer to a good one.
Cheers
The score so far is 9 stainless rings 9 gold rings mostly small 13 925 silver rings 1 pandora silver bracelet with charms 2 titanium rings 1 22k fine bracelet and $192.00 in coins. And a heap of junk jewellery. Bottle tops, aluminium can floss. pull tabs and pop rivet heads I have discovered are to be the bane of the detectorists life LOL.
We don't have the long history that many countries have but one of the beaches turns up a lot of .577 Enfield 1833 musket projectiles and I found a pin shaped like an arrow that had the initials for the New Zealand steam ship company stamped on it along with the name of the ship it came from. A bit of research showed the ship had been active for transport during the war and was de- commissioned in 1964. Those along with an 1897 Ha'penny are my oldest finds so far.
My attitude is at 72 years of age is that a bad days detecting still beats a good day at work by a country mile and the good days are just awesome!!!!
A bad days detecting is just one day closer to a good one.
Cheers









