What's new

✅ SOLVED An odd shape for me

bizcook

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 7, 2018
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend found this the other day on a quick creek walk with his two daughters and I...we didn't really pay much attention to it till we got home but started making is wonder after we got to looking at it more and more.
 

Attachments

  • received_10157520136684202.webp
    received_10157520136684202.webp
    28.5 KB · Views: 121
  • received_10157520168084202.webp
    received_10157520168084202.webp
    125.3 KB · Views: 128
tn_md.gif
While you are waiting - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Bizcook! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Illinois for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
 
Upvote 0
What is on the reverse ? a picture perhaps.

Composition also ? appears to be made of lead. - ?
 
Upvote 0
Just this, and I'm not sure of lead, it seemed a little more like pottery to me, but I'm fairly new at this...it was found just by hand sifting through rocks by a sand bar in a small creek that doesn't get many visitors, found some broken axe heads and plummets, broken points.
 

Attachments

  • 20180528_192548.webp
    20180528_192548.webp
    364 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
Frag of earthen ware or clay pipe maybe?
 
Upvote 0
It looks like a rock that had a crinoid fossil in it. Crinoid fell out and left the impression.
 
Upvote 0
If it's rock, possibly a section of crinoid stem fossil. Some have a star pattern. Yours would have been where one of the sections like below was. Longer and it would have been a hole through the rock.

90e593f0e251ef6ce5f54e45ea540a31--sorting-fossils.webp

crinoid_stem_impression_small1.webp


Hah = Steve beat me while I was looking for images. ;-)
 
Upvote 0
I collected thousands of them in the creek on my grandparents farm in Southern Indiana{137 years ago} when I was a kid
 
Upvote 0
Definitely a crinoid impression. While I rarely find crinoid casts, I often find crinoid impressions, and often they are perfect star shapes.
 
Upvote 0
I thank all of you fellow rock hunters for taking the time to look and clarify what this was!! Folks like you are what makes it a great community! I just hadn't ever seen the star shape before so that was what had me thrown off. I'm off to check out a new field and possibly a new creek, time to go sweat a little bit.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom