What's new

an old whatzit...any ideas?

castletonking

Full Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2011
Messages
245
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey folks,i found this curious item and the other pieces all together,in the ground about a quarter mile from an old revolutionary fort near me.it was rusted as all iron pieces are,but its very brittle and the iron is black and crumbly,i thought possibly a pipe of some sort,but no idea.and the other parts seemed to have something to do with it as well.anyone want to take a guess?
 

Attachments

  • mail.webp
    mail.webp
    87.6 KB · Views: 880
  • mail.webp
    mail.webp
    90.9 KB · Views: 942
  • mail.webp
    mail.webp
    114.9 KB · Views: 958
Hey castletonking,

Look at your picture below, the fastener is a 20th century piece, like they use in the automotive industry.

Copy of AAA.webp​
 
Upvote 0
Havilah_Springs said:
Hey castletonking,

Look at your picture below, the fastener is a 20th century piece, like they use in the automotive industry.


​
interesting,that "fastener" is hollow and there was some type of material in it, the metal its made of is carbonized and very brittle
 
Upvote 0
if its an auto part,being 6 inches deep, in the middle of the woods with no road acess and no modern trash around,its certainly a conundrum
 
Upvote 0
I agree, but it sure looks like the clips they use to slide over an opening in-leu of a nut and washer. I am not to familiar with metalurgy, but were they using carbon back then?

H_S
 
Upvote 0
Havilah_Springs said:
I agree, but it sure looks like the clips they use to slide over an opening in-leu of a nut and washer. I am not to familiar with metalurgy, but were they using carbon back then?

H_S
i have no idea what they used,the pieces are all so fragile,they were crumbling as i cleaned them.
 
Upvote 0
Not much to go on but I'll through out my three best guess :D..........#1-Cast iron sewer pipe,#2-cast iron axle hub/bearing caps for old plow like a disk plow,#3- part of a old cast iron hand well pump....that's it best I can do.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 

Attachments

  • www.draindomain.com_suspended%20cast%20iron%20pipes[1].webp
    www.draindomain.com_suspended%20cast%20iron%20pipes[1].webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,369
  • vlh6703__53784_thumb[1].webp
    vlh6703__53784_thumb[1].webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,466
  • vlh6702__34532_thumb[1].webp
    vlh6702__34532_thumb[1].webp
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,509
  • 31lFz2K5soL._SL500_AA300_[1].webp
    31lFz2K5soL._SL500_AA300_[1].webp
    3 KB · Views: 1,517
Upvote 0
I agree with your first assumption. It's a whatsit! Monty
 
Upvote 0
Not really a lot to go off of there. My guess is that you will never know. :dontknow:

DeJa
 
Upvote 0
Havilah_Springs said:
I agree, but it sure looks like the clips they use to slide over an opening in-leu of a nut and washer. I am not to familiar with metalurgy, but were they using carbon back then?

H_S
theres no way to slide it onto anything,its a solid piece of metal,degraded into many layers,almost like the pages of a book,but in metal
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom