An update on my Vending Machine Hunting

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thursday, I was able to completely sort thru the coins I collect on a vending machine service route. I got a 1964 Rosie and a 1968 Canadian Quarter. Even though I can't confirm it, I'm going to guess that quarter is the 50% silver variety thus giving it a similar weight for the machine to accept.

Friday, I was much too busy to give a thorough looksie, but I did edge check handfuls here and there, and looked for dark nickels. Not the best means but one can only devote so much time when working and having appointments and obligations in the afternoon after work.

I kinda wish I could buy these bags from my employer after they've been counted, but it's out of the question. Brinks comes and picks them up twice a week. Pay me in coin :laughing7:

Upvote 0

deeptarget

Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some 68 quarters have zero silver in them.. Best way to tell if a magnet sticks there is no silver.. Hope this helps

OP
OP
PhattyB

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't stick to a magnet, that's the only test I tried and wasn't sure if it was fool proof. I did a little research and it said weight was the only way to tell.

So, I put the coin in my hand, and jumped on the bath scale. If you compare to my drivers license, I have a 30 pound quarter.

deeptarget

Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well every 68 I have ever found sticks.. Soo looks like you found silver

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
So, I put the coin in my hand, and jumped on the bath scale. If you compare to my drivers license, I have a 30 pound quarter.

What do you mean by this? Also, since nickel is magnetic, and silver non-magnetic, the test always works (all of my '68s are nickel, do have '59, '65, and '67 though).

OP
OP
PhattyB

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little joke about weight, and the inaccuracy of my driver's license.

If I have to explain it, must have not been that funny :sadsmiley:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
A little joke about weight, and the inaccuracy of my driver's license.

If I have to explain it, must have not been that funny :sadsmiley:

OK, at first, I thought the quarter was 30x heavier than your drivers license.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

LOL!!:laughing7: Good one. Ya' gotta watch them Driver's License, they're a crafty lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread