jrf30
Bronze Member
Well, I've owned my Ryedale for 30 hours now. Got it yesterday in the FedEx. Ran it some (a LOT) yesterday and some today, between work and a meeting this morning. Here are my thoughts.
The first thought is that 40 boxes is NOT ENOUGH!
I picked up 40 boxes at my normal bank, and then added another 9 or so while out and about and waiting for the machine to arrive. I thought it would take me a month to go through all that. Wow, this machine eats it up! And the finds are pretty decent. I'm sure ratios and finds back east are much better, just like they are with Halves, but even I'm not doing bad with my pennies. I think I could do 40 boxes a WEEK though, which means a LOT of dumping. I dumped some at my dump bank today after a meeting. They had to change their penny bag four times while I was dumping! Oops. :-} PLus they had to change their half dollar bag for me once. But,they were VERY nice and eager to help. I hope that attitude stays for a while. Eventually I may wear my welcome thin, but right now they are intrigued by the coin I am dumping, and very happy to let me do it. I dumped almost $200 of pennies today, and have another $300 to dump tomorrow (It is even open on SUNDAY. ANd it is SLOW on both days, so they like my business. I can't hold this amount for a week going through what I am going through, but I intend to dump a LOT on weekends if I can)
Okay, here's a breakdown of my last 30 hours with the Ryedale.
I ran all my loose coin rolls and bags right off the bat yesterday, then some boxes. I didn't count the exact amount, but it didn't matter. I was learning the machine. I think I ran about 19 boxes total. It was a long day (and night) but that was a lot of boxes to run. I figure if I do 5 boxes a day, that will keep my job and my wife both happy plus allow me to get some good copper stowed away. maybe more on weekends, like today, which is where I get about 40 boxes a week as my estimate of what I can do.
Out of the 19 boxes (give or take) I got about 6,200 coppers. I also got 86 wheats and ONE INDIAN HEAD. That's my second indian head in about 15 days! COOL. that really kept me pumped up. Today I decided to run a more thorough test of the machine, very controilled and specific. I ran exactly 10 boxes (And it showed I ran 25,001 coins for the day). Two batches of 5 boxes each. I ran all the coins through the machine to sort them, then took the copper and ran it through AGAIN, to see how many mistakes I might have had in it. Then I sorted by hand the wheats from the memorials, stored the copper memorials in $25 penny boxes and then put the wheats into their own box. It took me 2 hours and 5 minutes to do ALL of that the first batch of 5 boxes. I did NOT rework the zinc side, like some do. Instead, as I put pennies into the machine, I watch the zinc side VERY carefully. If a dark or older looking penny pops into it, I take it out and check it manually after I am done with the box. I found a few 1940s wheats were rejected as not copper by the machine, but that is explained by Ryedale.
I found 2,059 copper cents in the first 5 boxes. That is 8.236 coppers per roll of 50, or 16.47%. That makes good sense, as I was getting about 7.2 coppers per roll when i did it by hand, and I eliminated ALL the 1982s since I couldn't quickly tell the difference between the copper and zinc. WIth those added by the machine, that is why I am at 8.2 coppers per roll. Of the 2,059, only 25 were wheats (5 wheats per box). That left 2,034 memorial pennies.
The second test batchtook me exactly 2 hours. I found 2,014 coppers. 46 were wheats (9.2 per box of 2,500. Much better) leaving 1,964 memorial cents.
My ratios are still low, as that is 15.7% memorials and 0.3% wheats. Total 16.1% keepers (with rounding). I hear of people getting 24% on average, and some rolls of 100% copper, but mine are all from the fed and pretty consistent in the 16 - 17% range.
I found 3 zinc cents in the copper hopper the first batch, and 4 the second batch. I think this is from jams or two coins going down at once, or maybe a minor mishap, but I can DEFINITELY live with 4 coins in error out of 12,500 coins in five boxes total.
Starting tomorrow I shall NOT re-run the coppers through a second time. the only reason I did it was to get an exact count of how many were copper. I don't care in general though. I want to keep them all, so "exactly" how many there are doesn't matter. But, to see my ratios, I wanted to count the coppers "today". By not recounting the coppers though, and just going directly into the wheat/memorial hand sorting, I"ll chop about 8 minutes off my average time. I"ll still say 2 hours to run 5 boxes in general, from start to finish, including marking the wheats in my records and putting everything away. Not bad.
I need more than 40 boxes though. I need to order that EACH week. :-)
Soon I'll have a LOT more WHEATS. PLus my Indian Head collection has grown by 2, which is great. And my NICKEL collection grew too, as a bank I went to for pennies gave me $2 of nickels they said an old man gave them. It had 3 war nickels, and 31 other pre 1960 nickels. COOL. A bonus. PLus I found one silver dime at Wells Fargo and 1 silver quarter at BOA while picking up pennies. Both in cashier's drawers.
That's the report. I LOVE the machine. It jams a little too often, but I have already learned how to fix it, and that is counted in my overall time figures. I think I"ll have to start SELLING copper pennies on ebay sooner than I thought. This thing just goes through SO many so quickly. I hvae about 9,100 coppers right now, or over 60 pounds of copper. And I'm just beginning! :-) No more halves for me though! They weren't working, and this is, so this is good enough. :-)
Let me know if you have questions on the Ryedale. I don't know a lot about it yet, but I can say that it is a great machine so far, and I am happy I bought it.
2007 CRH & MD Total:
Indian Head Penny - 2 (1902 & 1908)
Wheats - 224
Buffalo Nickels - 4
Silver (War) Nickels - 3
Other Pre 1960 Nickels - 31 (all 34 found in one $2 roll of nickels bank gave me!)
Merc Dimes - 1
Silver Roosies - 1
Silver Wash Qtrs – 2
Barber Qtrs – 1 (1897!)
Franklin Halves - 0
1964 (90%) Kennedy - 1
1965 – 70 (40%) Kennedy - 16
NIFC Kennedy - 17
Halves results per Box (16 boxes searched and QUIT)
Skunks - 10
1 Keeper - 4
2 Keepers - 1
11 Keepers - 1 (one good box, but that was all)
Total Silver Halves - 17/16,000 = 0.11%!!!
Copper Memorial Pennies
9,100 +/-
The first thought is that 40 boxes is NOT ENOUGH!
I picked up 40 boxes at my normal bank, and then added another 9 or so while out and about and waiting for the machine to arrive. I thought it would take me a month to go through all that. Wow, this machine eats it up! And the finds are pretty decent. I'm sure ratios and finds back east are much better, just like they are with Halves, but even I'm not doing bad with my pennies. I think I could do 40 boxes a WEEK though, which means a LOT of dumping. I dumped some at my dump bank today after a meeting. They had to change their penny bag four times while I was dumping! Oops. :-} PLus they had to change their half dollar bag for me once. But,they were VERY nice and eager to help. I hope that attitude stays for a while. Eventually I may wear my welcome thin, but right now they are intrigued by the coin I am dumping, and very happy to let me do it. I dumped almost $200 of pennies today, and have another $300 to dump tomorrow (It is even open on SUNDAY. ANd it is SLOW on both days, so they like my business. I can't hold this amount for a week going through what I am going through, but I intend to dump a LOT on weekends if I can)
Okay, here's a breakdown of my last 30 hours with the Ryedale.
I ran all my loose coin rolls and bags right off the bat yesterday, then some boxes. I didn't count the exact amount, but it didn't matter. I was learning the machine. I think I ran about 19 boxes total. It was a long day (and night) but that was a lot of boxes to run. I figure if I do 5 boxes a day, that will keep my job and my wife both happy plus allow me to get some good copper stowed away. maybe more on weekends, like today, which is where I get about 40 boxes a week as my estimate of what I can do.
Out of the 19 boxes (give or take) I got about 6,200 coppers. I also got 86 wheats and ONE INDIAN HEAD. That's my second indian head in about 15 days! COOL. that really kept me pumped up. Today I decided to run a more thorough test of the machine, very controilled and specific. I ran exactly 10 boxes (And it showed I ran 25,001 coins for the day). Two batches of 5 boxes each. I ran all the coins through the machine to sort them, then took the copper and ran it through AGAIN, to see how many mistakes I might have had in it. Then I sorted by hand the wheats from the memorials, stored the copper memorials in $25 penny boxes and then put the wheats into their own box. It took me 2 hours and 5 minutes to do ALL of that the first batch of 5 boxes. I did NOT rework the zinc side, like some do. Instead, as I put pennies into the machine, I watch the zinc side VERY carefully. If a dark or older looking penny pops into it, I take it out and check it manually after I am done with the box. I found a few 1940s wheats were rejected as not copper by the machine, but that is explained by Ryedale.
I found 2,059 copper cents in the first 5 boxes. That is 8.236 coppers per roll of 50, or 16.47%. That makes good sense, as I was getting about 7.2 coppers per roll when i did it by hand, and I eliminated ALL the 1982s since I couldn't quickly tell the difference between the copper and zinc. WIth those added by the machine, that is why I am at 8.2 coppers per roll. Of the 2,059, only 25 were wheats (5 wheats per box). That left 2,034 memorial pennies.
The second test batchtook me exactly 2 hours. I found 2,014 coppers. 46 were wheats (9.2 per box of 2,500. Much better) leaving 1,964 memorial cents.
My ratios are still low, as that is 15.7% memorials and 0.3% wheats. Total 16.1% keepers (with rounding). I hear of people getting 24% on average, and some rolls of 100% copper, but mine are all from the fed and pretty consistent in the 16 - 17% range.
I found 3 zinc cents in the copper hopper the first batch, and 4 the second batch. I think this is from jams or two coins going down at once, or maybe a minor mishap, but I can DEFINITELY live with 4 coins in error out of 12,500 coins in five boxes total.
Starting tomorrow I shall NOT re-run the coppers through a second time. the only reason I did it was to get an exact count of how many were copper. I don't care in general though. I want to keep them all, so "exactly" how many there are doesn't matter. But, to see my ratios, I wanted to count the coppers "today". By not recounting the coppers though, and just going directly into the wheat/memorial hand sorting, I"ll chop about 8 minutes off my average time. I"ll still say 2 hours to run 5 boxes in general, from start to finish, including marking the wheats in my records and putting everything away. Not bad.
I need more than 40 boxes though. I need to order that EACH week. :-)
Soon I'll have a LOT more WHEATS. PLus my Indian Head collection has grown by 2, which is great. And my NICKEL collection grew too, as a bank I went to for pennies gave me $2 of nickels they said an old man gave them. It had 3 war nickels, and 31 other pre 1960 nickels. COOL. A bonus. PLus I found one silver dime at Wells Fargo and 1 silver quarter at BOA while picking up pennies. Both in cashier's drawers.
That's the report. I LOVE the machine. It jams a little too often, but I have already learned how to fix it, and that is counted in my overall time figures. I think I"ll have to start SELLING copper pennies on ebay sooner than I thought. This thing just goes through SO many so quickly. I hvae about 9,100 coppers right now, or over 60 pounds of copper. And I'm just beginning! :-) No more halves for me though! They weren't working, and this is, so this is good enough. :-)
Let me know if you have questions on the Ryedale. I don't know a lot about it yet, but I can say that it is a great machine so far, and I am happy I bought it.
2007 CRH & MD Total:
Indian Head Penny - 2 (1902 & 1908)
Wheats - 224
Buffalo Nickels - 4
Silver (War) Nickels - 3
Other Pre 1960 Nickels - 31 (all 34 found in one $2 roll of nickels bank gave me!)
Merc Dimes - 1
Silver Roosies - 1
Silver Wash Qtrs – 2
Barber Qtrs – 1 (1897!)
Franklin Halves - 0
1964 (90%) Kennedy - 1
1965 – 70 (40%) Kennedy - 16
NIFC Kennedy - 17
Halves results per Box (16 boxes searched and QUIT)
Skunks - 10
1 Keeper - 4
2 Keepers - 1
11 Keepers - 1 (one good box, but that was all)
Total Silver Halves - 17/16,000 = 0.11%!!!
Copper Memorial Pennies
9,100 +/-
Upvote
0







