What's new

Anchor Button

edlynne

Full Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
198
Reaction score
170
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Ace 250, XP deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this button on a colonial tavern site. It has a V stock, any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
anchor button front.webp
anchor button back.webp
 
Ed, I've never heard of the term 'V stock' when it comes to identifying buttons. :icon_scratch:
You didn't mention whether this is brass or iron, but I'm thinking iron, so it's likely to be a civilian clothing button.

You need someone with more button experience than me to chime in here though.
Dave
 
Upvote 0
interesting find
more info could help id your button better, measurements and material used could narrow down the possibilities

it bears similarities to early American designs based on the French type buttons...here is one similar example in pewter
 

Attachments

  • 20210403_081521.webp
    20210403_081521.webp
    102.7 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0
ticndig, I believe it is that exact one. I tried responding on that old forum. So far from others I have it as a French pattern Continental Navy button. It is brass as it is not magnetic, and the dimension of the button is 23.7mm or .93 inch. The stock is the piece that goes across the top of the anchor, and this button has a V shape and not the traditional navy straight stock. Thanks appreciate help, would love to see picture in one of the button books. Need to read up on Continental Navy.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Definitely could be pewter, seems more of a metal makeup. Really skinny.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom