ANCIENT CHEROKEE INDIAN DOWSING METHODS

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
found this info in a book originally printed in 1891 titled '' sacred formulas of the cherokees'' by james mooney, who spent much time with these indians and got the info directly from them.................say one of them lost a hog and could not find it...he would chant the following; ''' Gahusti a giyahusa Sge ! Ha-nagwa hatu gani ga Nu ya Watige i, gahusti tsuts-kadi nigesuna. Ha-nagwadu gihyali. Agiyahusa si kwa, ha-ga tsu-nu iyu ta datsi waktuhi. Tla-ke aya akwatseliga. O O digwadaita.''' .......... this translates to '' i have lost something. listen ! ha ! now you have drawn near to hearken, o brown rock; you never lie about anything. Ha ! now i am about to seek for it. I have lost a hog and now tell me about where i shall find it. for is it not mine ? my name is ________..''..................then the dowser would take a rock, usually quartz, pointed crystal, or antique arrowheads { several of these dowsing stones are in the national museum, being obtained on the reservation} tie the rock/arrowhead to a string.....he dowses for item, notes general direction of longest swing of rock and goes in that direction, redowsing until he is in the area he feels is near target...then he will draw upon the ground a small circle inclosing a cross with an arm pointing in each of the 4 cardinal directions....he will dowse once more directly over this and then walk very slowly in the direction of the rocks longest swing, looking until object is found......... there were many formulas used for dowsing, some being quite elaborate..the one above was just a basic formula for dowsing........even in 1891 there were skeptics, the writer of this book being one himself.............................gldhntr

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
as i said swr, the writer of the book was a skeptic himself....but my thoughts on this subject are that if it did not work at all then why would an ancient civilization have in its lore the formulas and rituals for its use ?.....on page 308 it says '' these formulas had been handed down orally from a remote antiquity until the early part of this century.''. {the 17th} on page # 318 it says,,,'' it is impossible to overestimate the ethnologic importance of the materials thus obtained. they are invaluable as the genuine production of the indian mind, setting forth in the clearest light the state of the aboriginal religion before its contamination by contact with the whites''..{thats where the skeptics enter the picture} also this, same page '' they are, by common consent of all competent authorities, the genuine productions of native minds, cast in the idiomatic forms of the native tongue by those born to use it.''' i kind of doubt that there were any unmentionable device salesmen visiting these tribes back then, and would have to chance guess they had these formulas/rituals in their customs because they had found them, on their own accord, to work to some degree, and also at a high enough percentage to keep these formula/rituals in their ' handed down by word of mouth ' history/lore for possibly hundreds of years.................. ...................gldhntr

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
swr i have previously found that most of your posts on any subject are just an arguement waiting to happen,,,,,,,i posted this info to show that a people, without outside influence, dowsed for objects {not just hogs}, in much the same way as is used today, with a rock/crystal/needle, whatever, on a string....this seems to be universal, practiced in much the same way, by many peoples, from all over the world, for hundreds possibly thousands of years, without there being contact between the peoples, in much the same way as religion and belief in a creator, seems to paralell between all these different peoples from different lands, many of which have been proven to have not had any outside influences to draw upon for this information....................................................info dowsing for a direction, and then more feild dowsing in the direction shown by the info dowsing, the use of the four cardinal directions in the dowsing, does not sound like walking around an area looking for hog tracks.....they also dowsed for things that did not leave tracks, like water sources, food sources, other lost items that don't even have feet to leave a track........................gldhntr

OP
OP
G

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i have read the book several times, and no-where that i have seen does it state a shaman had to do the dowsing. i also did not see where it stated that a spirit was helping the dowser. if you look at the formula i posted, the last sentances of it state '' for is it not mine ? my name is ________ '' now how could a shaman ask this and state his name, like it belonged to him ? it also states '' i have lost something '' unless the shaman lost the item being looked for, then saying this would be wrong to begin with...........a rock on a string, looking for lost or hidden items, now how is that not dowsing ? maybe the fact that they were running around the country for 15-18,000 years or more, on a much higher spiritual plane than most people, never stealing from their own, leaving nearly no trace they had been here, excludes them from being able to dowse............or do you have to come from a people that can kill, rape and rob to get what they want, and then totally trash everything in it including the air and water within the span of a few hundred years to be able to dowse ? ........... quote;;; '' Do you want us to believe sprits can actually move your dowsing rods, or a pendant of some nature? This only adds to my skepticism ''..........................personally i could care less what you believe,, and as with most skeptics, your skepticism can never be diminished, only added to, because of a closed mind and short sight...................ya'll have a good day.......................................................gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread