What's new

Ancient coin !....... Thanks for the help guys!

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2007
Messages
3,295
Reaction score
2,665
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vicksburg Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to help a friend with an ID on this coin. It is smaller than a dime but thicker. It is silver.
Any ideas?

Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • DSC09412.webp
    DSC09412.webp
    9.5 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC09413.webp
    DSC09413.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 218
Re: Ancient coin !.......

:read2:

It's a coin of Marc Antony...galley issue, the reverse is Eagle between standards :icon_thumleft: I will try and find the correct legion...nice coin :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ancient coin !.......

Silver Searcher said:
:read2:

It's a coin of Marc Antony...galley issue, the reverse is Eagle between standards :icon_thumleft: I will try and find the correct legion...nice coin :icon_thumleft:

SS

Legion? Does that give a date per say? Also any ideas on value???
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ancient coin !.......

Mike from MI said:
Silver Searcher said:
:read2:

It's a coin of Marc Antony...galley issue, the reverse is Eagle between standards :icon_thumleft: I will try and find the correct legion...nice coin :icon_thumleft:

SS

Legion? Does that give a date per say? Also any ideas on value???
The galley, gives what the legion was by the numerals, but it is a BC coin, and fetch decent money depending on how many of the type there are.

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ancient coin !.......

:read2:

I think it's this one :P.....Mark Antony. 32-31 BC. AR Legionary Denarius (3.40 gm). ANT AVG
III VIR R P C, praetorian galley right / LEG VI, aquila between
two standards. Crawford 544/19; Sydenham 1223; BMCRR 197; RSC 33.

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ancient coin !.......

Silver Searcher said:
:read2:

I think it's this one :P.....Mark Antony. 32-31 BC. AR Legionary Denarius (3.40 gm). ANT AVG
III VIR R P C, praetorian galley right / LEG VI, aquila between
two standards. Crawford 544/19; Sydenham 1223; BMCRR 197; RSC 33.

SS

What is the best way to find the value? Even an approx.
Thanks for all the help.

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ancient coin !.......

:coffee2:

Roman coins are not at there best at the moment :P you can pick up Silver Denarius for as little as £25 here, your coin is a bit more desirable, and I would expect it to fetch $200 plus, take it to a reputable dealer over there, and see if he makes a offer. But a collecter might pay more.
Hope this helps a bit :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom