What's new

Andy Smith's Grove 1912

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
96,874
Reaction score
76,326
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Vinita Leader​

Vinita, Oklahoma · Thursday, July 25, 1912
000aaa.webp
 
If you are unfamiliar with a 'Steam Swing'...... https://www.hollycombe.co.uk/fairground/steam-swings
That area of Vinita hasn't changed much in over a hundred years--though the grove may be gone in favor of farming.
Locating the site would be relatively easy.
Don in SoCal
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Carselowey Area !

The Vinita Leader​

Thu, Jul 04, 1912 ·Page 6
000aaa.webp
 
Possibly along the Big Cabin Creek
000aaa.webp
 
yep

The Vinita Leader​

Thu, Oct 29, 1903 ·Page 7
000aaa.webp
 
East Side Obviously
1771628141000.webp
 
Carselowy is still a big name in the area. Cabin Creek is still the same and shown on maps; and Salt Fork falls
into the Arkansas River near Ponca City, Oklahoma. All that is missing from Jeff's citations is "X" marks the spot.
Don in SoCal
 
There only seems to be 3 maybe 4 Farms along the Cabin Creek these days That I would say can be considered in the Carselowy Neighborhood.
I noticed at Least 2 Were Gated, Possibly for Privacy , or Maybe one is
for the Purpose of Letting people Know it is No longer a Picnic Area.

If I was a True Betting man, the One with the Auto Junk Yard
West of the Carselowy Fire House & Along the Creek
34550 S 4420 Rd, Vinita, OK 74301 area
000aaa.webp
000bbb.webp

Simply because I Know 2 Former Picnic Groves Here that were turned into Auto / Scrap
Junk Yards???
 
Last edited:
To located that picnic area, I'd contact the historian oif the county. Unfortunately, there is none. However, to research the history of Craig County, Oklahoma,I'd contact the Craig County Oklahoma Genealogical Society in Vinita, which serves as a primary resource for local historical records, cemetery data, and archives. For broader historical context, the Oklahoma Historical Society maintains the definitive entry on Craig County and oversees regional historical sites. While no single "county historian" role is officially designated, these organizations provide the most direct access to specialized local knowledge.
I'd use the same approach to locate any past picnic areas.
Don in SoCal
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom