What's new

Anne or James II - nah! Queen Victoria

DavidBeard

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
507
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
1
Location
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got really excited yesterday. Searching for an old route through the peat bogs on one of my regular farms. The peat was used for fuel ages ago. Never found that old road this time but deep by the stump of a very old tree I did dig up 2 coins, Looking very, very old - completely black, no round edges, not too thick, etc, and I could just make out a portrait of a face looking to the left. 'Wow' I thought - 'Got something old here... perhaps a Queen Anne or even a James!' - Couldn't believe it after cleaning back home that they were only very badly corroded Victoria Halfpennies 1860's - Just shows how acid (or is peat alkaline?) the area is (no chemicals used here) - It was even turning my fingers black!
Here are the pics:

Victoria-Halfpenny1.webp

Victoria-Halfpenny2.webp

All.webp

That'll teach me not to count my chickens before they hatch!
 
Upvote 0
Don't know very much about peat bogs but from the
way the bogs treated those coins, I don't think they
would be a very good place to be. Did your black fingers
clean up too? Nasty stuff!!! Gold Nuggets :hello:
 
I've got a big jar of coins which my Grandfather found detecting on Hampstead Heath! Most of them are in a similar condition
to yours! I doubt it has ever seen any chemicals, so it must be to do with trees I think :dontknow:
 
The acidity comes from the Sphagnum moss that forms those heaths/bogs. The typical pH of the water and soil in those areas is between 3.3-4.8. That's very acidic and will chew up those coins.
 
bog rough on coins.great finds.
 
shaun7 said:
I've got a big jar of coins which my Grandfather found detecting on Hampstead Heath! Most of them are in a similar condition
to yours! I doubt it has ever seen any chemicals, so it must be to do with trees I think :dontknow:
some times they fall apart when you pick them up
 
I would take old coins like those any day :thumbsup: Great hunt, now go get a hammered :icon_thumright:
 
IronSpike said:
I would take old coins like those any day :thumbsup: Great hunt, now go get a hammered :icon_thumright:
Do you think a hammered would have survived here? - couple more years and these would have dissolved to nothing. Makes you wonder what else would have been buried here on purpose during all these years!
gold nuggets said:
...Did your black fingers clean up too? Nasty stuff!!! Gold Nuggets :hello: ...
Still a bit grey in places and the thumbs are quite smooth - almost print-less! Must get some cream on em.
 
I think once you locate the old road there'll be lots of great finds :thumbsup:
 
Looks like most of the coppers from my area...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom