What's new

Another 50 day on the Roman Site...

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,308
Reaction score
48,552
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took me 7 hours to get 50 Roman Coins today.

We have now completed all the limits of the site (North,East,South & West). The first 2 hours I only had 3 roman coins. So we decided to go over the most productive area again. At least the recent rain & disc-ing had given us better condition to hunt. We hit it from a different angle & soon started to ramp the numbers up. Can't wait for next year when I hope they plough it :-\

Got a Roman Pinhead
Roman leather Stud decor
2 Roman whatzits
19th C Token
Middlesex Military whatzit (capbadge?)

Tomorrow we will try some stubble fields for a change of pace. These will not be as productive but might have the odd hammered, I hope!
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 948
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    79.2 KB · Views: 945
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    42.9 KB · Views: 929
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
robfinds said:
CRUSADER said:
robfinds said:
Only 50, you need a cow. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

I was thinking about getting one, but wasn't sure on the depth, & they are a bit on the heavy side...
Herd there very good on pasture, so must be deep. As for the weight, if as soon as you get one, you pick it up every day theres no problem.
Yes as you say , on the heavy side, and the air test can be a nightmare to perform... you need to be built like this :laughing7:



that looks like an obese lady i used to know....doing a hand stand :-[
I take it your not fussy then shaun :D



hey, dont knock it till you've tried it! she was very pretty :-\
 
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
robfinds said:
CRUSADER said:
robfinds said:
Only 50, you need a cow. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

I was thinking about getting one, but wasn't sure on the depth, & they are a bit on the heavy side...
Herd there very good on pasture, so must be deep. As for the weight, if as soon as you get one, you pick it up every day theres no problem.
Yes as you say , on the heavy side, and the air test can be a nightmare to perform... you need to be built like this :laughing7:



that looks like an obese lady i used to know....doing a hand stand :-[
I take it your not fussy then shaun :D



hey, dont knock it till you've tried it! she was very pretty :-\

So much I could say here, but won't. Because I like your misses & shes far from the above....
 
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
robfinds said:
CRUSADER said:
robfinds said:
Only 50, you need a cow. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

I was thinking about getting one, but wasn't sure on the depth, & they are a bit on the heavy side...
Herd there very good on pasture, so must be deep. As for the weight, if as soon as you get one, you pick it up every day theres no problem.
Yes as you say , on the heavy side, and the air test can be a nightmare to perform... you need to be built like this :laughing7:



that looks like an obese lady i used to know....doing a hand stand :-[
I take it your not fussy then shaun :D



hey, dont knock it till you've tried it! she was very pretty :-\

So much I could say here, but won't. Because I like your misses & shes far from the above....



I suppose i should say thanks :icon_scratch: :laughing7:
 
Man I wish we had history here like you do over there.

HH


Greg "cladzilla"
 
50 Romans in 7 hrs, that's awesome! 20 yrs and three countries have yielded me 11 Romans, LOL. I am surprised that more Roman relics are not popping up with all those coins. Are the coins all around the same dates or scattered? HH, Mike
 
Bavaria Mike said:
50 Romans in 7 hrs, that's awesome! 20 yrs and three countries have yielded me 11 Romans, LOL. I am surprised that more Roman relics are not popping up with all those coins. Are the coins all around the same dates or scattered? HH, Mike

The coins follow a typical UK farming villa site pattern. With a few 2nd-3rd C, & the bulk of the coinage in the 4th C. ie. small round house farm, romanised to larger Villa & slowly expanded to its peak in the 4th C.
 
Truly great digs congrats!
 
When are you going to start finding the old stuff? As usual, I am jealous of you Brits! I wish the Native Americans here in North America used metals instead of wampum shells.
 
That is unreal. I know that had to be fun. Congratulations.
 
Wow - that is a great day - although describing it as Great could be underselling it ;D
 
Silver Searcher said:
robfinds said:
CRUSADER said:
robfinds said:
Only 50, you need a cow. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

I was thinking about getting one, but wasn't sure on the depth, & they are a bit on the heavy side...
Herd there very good on pasture, so must be deep. As for the weight, if as soon as you get one, you pick it up every day theres no problem.
Yes as you say , on the heavy side, and the air test can be a nightmare to perform... you need to be built like this :laughing7:

Silver Searcher said:
robfinds said:
CRUSADER said:
robfinds said:
Only 50, you need a cow. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

I was thinking about getting one, but wasn't sure on the depth, & they are a bit on the heavy side...
Herd there very good on pasture, so must be deep. As for the weight, if as soon as you get one, you pick it up every day theres no problem.
Yes as you say , on the heavy side, and the air test can be a nightmare to perform... you need to be built like this :laughing7:

I appreciate the pic Silver Searcher of a typical Brit metal detectorist after finding 50 Romans :laughing7:

I would probably look like a Brit if I had detected Sherwood Forest. Any of you ever detected there?
 

Attachments

  • air_test.webp
    air_test.webp
    2.6 KB · Views: 368
wow, great pics, what i wouldnt give to find history like that!!!! :headbang:
 
Bavaria Mike said:
50 Romans in 7 hrs, that's awesome! 20 yrs and three countries have yielded me 11 Romans, LOL. I am surprised that more Roman relics are not popping up with all those coins. Are the coins all around the same dates or scattered? HH, Mike
Cru : The coins follow a typical UK farming villa site pattern.
I agree completely with Cru on this, its just typical what we find too. Few relics/objects, just coins and many of them (copper), and very few silver. After a few years more objects appear it seems, but still few. Sometimes you don't understand how you miss the relics, but that is our experience also.
 
Hi Cru, just keep at it on this field, you will be surprized what you find after a few years if it goes the way of ours. I don't know why but it just gets better after you remove the bad coppers....
 
WOODY50 said:
Hi Cru, just keep at it on this field, you will be surprized what you find after a few years if it goes the way of ours. I don't know why but it just gets better after you remove the bad coppers....

We will be doing it for years.

As you say, our 2nd Fav Field (that you shared), took us 10 years to get the Roman Silver, then we got 5 in a few weeks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom