What's new

Another bullet ID?

Ironman!

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
382
Reaction score
310
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help ID this bullet I found yesterday? It measures 18mm tall and 11mm wide where ring is. Dime is for scale.

Thanks!
IM
 

Attachments

  • E-mail IMG_1246.webp
    E-mail IMG_1246.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 267
Is the base hollow, flat or concave? Monty
 
Upvote 0
It looks to be a .44 revolver bullet variant, but don't go on my idea, I am not the bullet expert. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Is it all lead or is the bottom brass. I don't think I've ever seen one like that
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies!

Yes it is solid lead and a flat bottom.

IM
 
Upvote 0
Hmmm, a bit of a puzzler. 11 mm is about .41 caliber, but bullets are measured at their widest point to determine caliber, so outside the grooves it would be about .44 caliber (.429") as Breezie said. Does the bullet have any lines running longways on it? That would determine if it is swaged or cast which would make a difference in the I.D. Bullets should have two faint lines from the mold if cast. A swaged bullet won't have those lines. A general area where it was found would help also, such as "near a battle field", or "old camp ground", or even "in my back yard" would certainly help. The problem with bullets is that there are thousands of variations, even dozens within any given caliber. Didn't see anything in "Civil War Projectiles II" that fit although it was similar to some Sharps carbine bullets. I tend to think it is not that old. But I will keep thinking and looking until I arrive at a stronger possiblilty if someone don't get it before I do. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Here is a picture of some old 44 cartridges. I don't see any that exactly match yours, but the exposed grease rings on these lead me to believe yours is a bullet from an old 44 cartridge like Breezie said.

44 cartridges.webp
 
Upvote 0
If it were to be a CW bullet the Confederacy bought many of their cartridges from European countries like France, Germany, and even England. They were somewhat different than the ones made here in the States. So your guess is as good as mine. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom