Another button ID

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
It is very similar to the previous post about a button that read "Plated" It is missing the shank. It has two circles around the shank, one a little smaller than the other...in between the circles is the word "Plated". Starting on either side of the word "Plated" are alternating dots and stars. All around, the dots total 4 and the stars total 5. The front side of the button is scratched up but the areas not scratched seem to be a white color. The words and stars seemed to be etched or stamped into the button, not raised. Anyone got any ideas about how old it is? Sorry, I don't have a digital pics of the button yet.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Probably c. 1830-50. Unfortunately, "PLATED" is a very common mark and appears on even earlier buttons; however, the other backmark details which you describe— incuse lettering, concentric circles, dots & stars, etc.— seem more typical of the period I've indicated. If it's a two-piece button, it's definitely not much earlier.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I'm going to try to post a pic...I would love to know if there are any experts here that might know a manufacturer and what types of garments these things were worn on...Is it a shirt button, coat button, jacket button, pants button, cuff link ect...

Attachments

• Button Back.JPG
    Button Back.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 305
  • Button Front.JPG
    Button Front.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Now that I've seen it, let's back the time frame just a tad... say, 1825-40. Without knowing actual size, it's hard to be sure of usage; but based on the possibilities you've suggested, I'd guess either vest or cuff button.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Skrimpy said:
13/16" diameter and about 1/32" thick
Know any ways to find out a manufacturer or a value?

Not a lot of value: dug, shank missing, etc. Sometimes quality marks such as "Plated," in combination with decorative marks, can be attributed to a particular maker, but I don't know who made this one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
PBK said:
Skrimpy said:
13/16" diameter and about 1/32" thick
Know any ways to find out a manufacturer or a value?

Not a lot of value: dug, shank missing, etc. Sometimes quality marks such as "Plated," in combination with decorative marks, can be attributed to a particular maker, but I don't know who made this one.

So it aint gonna buy me a new DFX huh? Oh well, its kinda cool anyway. It will be a nice peice for my glass top shadowbox table.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I agree... it's a keeper! It's still got some eye appeal and, more importantly, an aura of history about it. Neat find!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread