197.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1745.jpeg
    IMG_1745.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1744.jpeg
    IMG_1744.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 7
Wow, soaking them in vinegar does make a difference for the creek finds.
Iā€™m soaking another now. Iā€™ve decided if they dry ugly why not clean them. Iā€™m thinking it canā€™t hurt and it might come out better

We don't drink our creek water either!
It's polluted hard water and many of the artifacts from the creek can be thickly coated with lime. I am getting pretty good (if I say so myself) at guessing which lime and black creek scum coated hafted scrapers are Sioux Quartzite - they can all look like limestone coated in black. It's quite a guessing game.
I am giving vinegar a shot on a few of these lime coated scrapers to see what results. I understand it can take a few days to get it off. To cut the black creek scum, I was taught to use Shrimp Cocktail Sauce. It does great. Usually 1/2 a day gets the lions share of the black stuff.

I appreciate the information on vinegar use.

vfm

Our creeks can have areas of high iron content. I also can see where oak leaves concentrated in the pools cause dark staining too. From tanic acid I guess. That scraper has some great colored veining in it.

We don't drink our creek water either!
It's polluted hard water and many of the artifacts from the creek can be thickly coated with lime. I am getting pretty good (if I say so myself) at guessing which lime and black creek scum coated hafted scrapers are Sioux Quartzite - they can all look like limestone coated in black. It's quite a guessing game.
I am giving vinegar a shot on a few of these lime coated scrapers to see what results. I understand it can take a few days to get it off. To cut the black creek scum, I was taught to use Shrimp Cocktail Sauce. It does great. Usually 1/2 a day gets the lions share of the black stuff.

I appreciate the information on vinegar use.

vfm
Itā€™s actually called Cleaning Vinegar. Wife bought it. Iā€™ve used it all and donā€™t know where she got it. Iā€™ve got regular now but havenā€™t used it yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back