Another first from the job site.. Chinese coin.. Need help with a date?

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one today, it's the first one I've found, so I'm happy with it. It came out of the ground black and I thought it was an old toilet washer til I saw the hole was square. I know ZERO about these, and I'm not even sure the pics are right side up, but I've seen some very knowledgeable people here put a dat on them and I'm hoping those people can help me out... Hope the pics are good enough, and thanks in advance for any help.

100_2759.JPG 100_2760.JPG

Upvote 2

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Identify your Chinese coins Have fun!!! I looked up several I had ended up with and they all turned out to be Japanese. This site was very helpful. Click on the "Coins Page" if you don't find it under Chinese then check the others. Good luck.

wetrock

Feb 4, 2009
TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garret AT-Pro, GTI 2500 & 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have your coin turned to the right ninety degrees. I personally find it easier to use this site to identify chinese coins: coins of china, the Ch'ing Dynasty

If you look really close, your coin appears to be Ching Dynasty from Emperor Hsuan Tsung 1821-1850.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find. I like finding these. here are some I dug from 1850's gold camps out west. these date from approx. 1660-1796. I am no expert on these and I can't read Chinese. But I have seen these enough to be familiar with them. the Chinese brought these with them and used them as trade amongst themselves and I also think as gaming pieces. the square hole is where they would string them together. they come in a lot of varieties and mint marks. Chinese coins do not have a specific date on them. rather there will be a dynasty period. For example, a US coin made in the 'Lincoln year's' would automatically tell you it was made sometime between 1860-1865. just an example.

I have also found one of these at a house site on the east coast and I have heard of others turning up at more modern sites. first picture is of an early 20th century sewing basket with these old coins sewn on them. they used these old coins for decoration. so context will help with when it was lost. I love finding these. neat old history... nice find.

Attachments

• unknown 008.jpg
    unknown 008.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6294.JPG
    IMG_6294.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found at a house on the edge of the Marigny neighborhood near the railroad tracks, so the date range of 1821-51 fits well with the site. I'm wondering if it may have been dropped by a railroad worker? Hopefully more good stuff will turn up.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread