Another Hunt at the Park....and We Got Tossed

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hunted with Bardok again today. We returned to what we thought was a county park with ball & soccer fields, tot-lot, picnic grounds and a community building. We hunted there for a little over 2 hours last Wednesday and I found a silver ring and about $5 in clad. We'd only hunted a small area so we decided to come back again in a few days since the place was very promising and did not appear to have been hunted in the past.
It was cloudy and we had a 2 minute shower just as we got started. We hit the sandy tot-lot first and found all kinds of clad, but between us, only one small charm. We had expected to find more jewelry than that . The park maintenance crew even joked with us that times must be hard for us to be looking for coins in the sand . Back to the the area between the perimeter of the soccer fields and the community building where a festival had been held the previous weekend, we were both finding lots of clad (not much surface stuff, but mostly 1 to 6 inches deep). I found my 7th Sac of the year. After 3 hours, a guy pulls up next to me in a small truck and asked "what are you doing?" Here I am, small hole dug in the ground with a metal detector next to me, and I almost said something smart, thought better of it, and told him we're detecting for coins and jewelry and thought this was a county park. He explained that this was property of the club members and there were members of "the club" that metal detected here and he asked (nicely I might add) for us to leave. I almost told him those members aren't very good at detecting because I'd already found about $17 in clad in 5 hours of hunting! Anyway, we quietly departed. I later researched the complex. Turns out it's not part of a county park (that park was adjacent but across the street), but the 52 acre complex is owned by the Catholic affiliated Cincinnati Kopling Society, which has about 1000 members, and the place is rented out for various activities and banquets. Oh well, our bad. Altogether, before being tossed, I found 94 coins for $12.27. Thanks for looking!!

Attachments

• 100_9905.JPG
    100_9905.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 905
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh well, there's aways more clad to be had :)

HH
-GC

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, at least ya got a bunch of clad. Nothing wrong with that. Just chalk it up as the one that got away. It would've been more painful if it was an older site that had old coins in it, so what the heck. There are other places to detect. Nice haul anyways :thumbsup: Rich

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good story. :thumbsup: You should have told the guy that you were the

"groundskeeper".......since he didn't know what you were doing with a metal detector and a shovel...

he might have bought it......maybe in the future (if you keep asking) you might get back their to hunt again...

p.s. nice haul................. :thumbsup:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Can ya believe it, The richest church in the world, and they have to resort to digging in the dirt to pay their members?! And not very good at it either, as evidenced by the amount you found. Was surprised by their comment that, their members hunt also, even though the one guy let ya hunt cause he apparently NEVER seen anyone else doing, for if he had, he would have kicked you out sooner. I have had a similar experience with that church here also, I was hunting a playground out back and everything was cool until the groundskeeper realized that I was finding money, then he came up to me, and in no uncertain terms unloaded on me with both barrels telling me that all that change belonged to the "CHURCH"! In Michigan, the law says that if you have a playground in a neighborhood with kids, you CANNOT padlock your playgrounds. Reason being... That kids will do anything to get in and play on the equipment, they may even be injured in their quest to gain entry. Strange thing. As I was sitting in my truck, I watched the groundskeeper go in a shed and come back out with a 5 gallon bucket, and it looked like he was scattering grass seed. When I returned on a later date I found out what it was. he had scattered aluminum pellets everywhere! That was 30 years ago, and my Whites could not tune them out, but now I have a Minelab Explorer XS, this old guy HAS to be dead by now, I WILL make a return visit!.......Not GE

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well the good news is thats only part of the 54 acres you said --well what about the rest of it? :wink:

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digging, even if you didn't get to hunt all of it. Maybe you could go to someone in charge and ASK them if you could hunt the area. Tell him that you will pick up all the trash and if anyone has lost of anything of value, such as rings, that you will return it to them if they can identify the item.

Years ago, I had the same thing happen to me. I was hunting a local park, it was raining very lightly and I hunted this park all morning. I took a large McDonald's pop cup of silver and rings out of that area. As I was putting my detector in the car and getting ready to leave, a park ranger came by and stopped and said hello. I asked him if they allowed metal detecting in the park and he said no they did not. I thanked him and left. Boy I sure would like to hunt that area again. LOL

HH, Ringfinder

P.S.
I do ask for permission now before I start to hunt any area. Better safe than sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread