What's new

Another Rare Beauty! Sea Scorpion!

TJE

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
1,159
Golden Thread
0
Location
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This mean looking fellow is a Eurypterid (sea scorpion) about a foot long and half a foot wide and not quite half full grown. They have no legs or eyes, instead they used paddles and pincers to sense and feel their prey.
Dated in The Silurian Age at 430-450 million years old.
 

Attachments

  • SUNP0111.webp
    SUNP0111.webp
    97.1 KB · Views: 332
  • SUNP0110.webp
    SUNP0110.webp
    71.2 KB · Views: 209
  • SUNP0109.webp
    SUNP0109.webp
    97.7 KB · Views: 227
Beautiful specimen!! I have never seen one with an open maw like that. The detail in the jaw is unreal. I have always wanted one of those in my collection. May I ask where it was found?
 
Last edited:
Hello Age old, Thanks.It's from The Bruce Peninsula, out of The Eramosa formation.
 
Thanks wvwildman.
 
Awesome fossil! :thumbsup: The negative piece has a ghostly apperance.
 
Thanks old digger, hard to see...in my 'sad excuse for photos' :/ But..there are actually one 'complete' (different genre) and two more 'incomplete' Eurys as well around the matrix of the dominant (center specimen). ;)
TJE
 
Very nice H.P.! :) Your excellent 'Remipes' genre fossil is probably the closest relative (guessing) :) of a 'Carcinosoma' in body anatomy...Unless a person was a paleontologist specializing in this species...We'd hardly be able to tell them apart!
Thanks for sharing :)
TJE
 
Last edited:
Thanks boris, I should have mentioned, their age to maturity I believe isn't know. I know they do grow to over 2 feet in length, with a talon (stinger) 4" or longer!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom