Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hammered coins are pretty hard to target. We target Iron Age/Roman Sites using Google earth. Medieval cropmarks are mostly reduced to ploughed out Ridge & Furrow which might get you some coins but a market would be better. However, most Medieval Markets are under the town or city developments.
I'm not sure where you are on your permission journey but one thing you can try is any ploughed field in sight of a Medieval Church. The closer the better. If you GRID a large enough area it will happen. The sort of signs we look for in what we call Hammered Country is;
Spec Buckles(mostly Tudor) & Medieval Buckles
Jettons
17th C Tokens
Older Lead Tokens
Tudor Clothes Fasteners
Medieval Pot Shards
& like most good areas, dark soil, nails & Lead pieces (including pot mends)
I know mate it would be my dream to even just find what you find lol That's the field I'm on at the moment it's next to an old Lunatic Hospital and a very old church there's also an abondand house but not sure if I'd be allowed ot detect around there, the farmer is giving me another field in July so hopefully that will be ploughed but I'm getting lots of good signals but I don't dig them all cause some of them are low readings, there's lots of old willow pattern plates broken into pieces and pot pieces just lying around, hopefully I find more interesting stuff

Attachments

• IMG_20220206_130014.jpg
    IMG_20220206_130014.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know mate it would be my dream to even just find what you find lol That's the field I'm on at the moment it's next to an old Lunatic Hospital and a very old church there's also an abondand house but not sure if I'd be allowed ot detect around there, the garner is giving me another field in July so hopefully that will be ploughed but I'm getting lots of good signals but I don't dig them all cause some of them are low readings, there's lots of old willow pattern plates broken into pieces and pot pieces just lying around, hopefully I find more interesting stuff
Just a tip, I didn't get successful by ignoring 'low readings'. I got successful by ignoring the numbers on the VDI/VDU.
A dig all strategy can't be achieved on every trashy field, but over time on good sites you want to get to a place where you clear every nail. (takes over 10 years of gridding the same spot, over & over)
Digging all means a speeding up of your recovery time. (Recovery time to me means how quickly the trash get in your pouch after the first beep - it should be less than 30 seconds) This mean no getting on your knees, & no pin-pointer which both slow you down. I can expand my technique, if you wish?
Once you can do this then the next most important thing is to take Luck out of the picture by systematically Gridding (sometimes referred to as mowing the lawn) - We do this with flags spaced out every 30 metres. On ploughed land its easy to follow the lines.
Then grid on good land for as many days as the window allows - some can be very short due to the farmers cropping pattern & differing requirements. (always follow their rules which vary, so make sure you both know where to park out of the way & when NOT to be on the field, & most importantly you have no agreement in Law unless you have an agreement with what happens to finds from their land - our agreements are complex sometimes - as we are collector's not sellers)

OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a tip, I didn't get successful by ignoring 'low readings'. I got successful by ignoring the numbers on the VDI/VDU.
A dig all strategy can't be achieved on every trashy field, but over time on good sites you want to get to a place where you clear every nail. (takes over 10 years of gridding the same spot, over & over)
Digging all means a speeding up of your recovery time. (Recovery time to me means how quickly the trash get in your pouch after the first beep - it should be less than 30 seconds) This mean no getting on your knees, & no pin-pointer which both slow you down. I can expand my technique, if you wish?
Once you can do this then the next most important thing is to take Luck out of the picture by systematically Gridding (sometimes referred to as mowing the lawn) - We do this with flags spaced out every 30 metres. On ploughed land its easy to follow the lines.
Then grid on good land for as many days as the window allows - some can be very short due to the farmers cropping pattern & differing requirements. (always follow their rules which vary, so make sure you both know where to park out of the way & when NOT to be on the field, & most importantly you have no agreement in Law unless you have an agreement with what happens to finds from their land - our agreements are complex sometimes - as we are collector's not sellers)
I watch alot of videos on YouTube and I use the Vanquish 440 so I was just going off what they said cause I'm new to all this but from. Now on I won't ignore them, I absolutely love it, il take your advise cause you know what your doing 😊yes if you don't mind that would be helpful 😊 the farmer I've got is pretty good to me he let's me on whenever I want up untill he's going to plant his crops then he says he will have somewhere else for me, but it's been so hard to get some land to go on up untill Now, so very greatful, and yes definitely I love collecting history at the young age I'm at its somthing for me to be proud of when I'm Older and show my little girl 😊

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch alot of videos on YouTube and I use the Vanquish 440 so I was just going off what they said cause I'm new to all this but from. Now on I won't ignore them, I absolutely love it, il take your advise cause you know what your doing 😊yes if you don't mind that would be helpful 😊 the farmer I've got is pretty good to me he let's me on whenever I want up untill he's going to plant his crops then he says he will have somewhere else for me, but it's been so hard to get some land to go on up untill Now, so very greatful, and yes definitely I love collecting history at the young age I'm at its somthing for me to be proud of when I'm Older and show my little girl 😊
I started detecting at about 10-11 years old & without any help from my Dad as the detector was given to me by my Uncle who is in a wheelchair & could no longer use it. I grew up learning without the internet. You have to opportunity to be fast tracked & learn all my 35 years experience, plus 25 years of my Dad (who got hooked eventually).
You can PM me any time for tips but the most important is ensuring that you follow the Treasure Act & cover yourself for the Β£1M+ find that could happen to anyone. Farmers for example may just say you can keep everything you find. Sounds good, until you get the big one, then you may be in dispute. Best cover yourself with a witnessed verbal contract or a written signed one. (we have a mixture of both depending on the owner)

OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting at about 10-11 years old & without any help from my Dad as the detector was given to me by my Uncle who is in a wheelchair & could no longer use it. I grew up learning without the internet. You have to opportunity to be fast tracked & learn all my 35 years experience, plus 25 years of my Dad (who got hooked eventually).
You can PM me any time for tips but the most important is ensuring that you follow the Treasure Act & cover yourself for the Β£1M+ find that could happen to anyone. Farmers for example may just say you can keep everything you find. Sounds good, until you get the big one, then you may be in dispute. Best cover yourself with a witnessed verbal contract or a written signed one. (we have a mixture of both depending on the owner)
Aww wow what a lovely story it's good to have a nice hobby your going to be my inspiration 😊 My little girl comes with me she's 5 and she is loving it also still working on getting my girlfriend to come πŸ˜‚, I will definitely take you up on PM'ing you as I can really learn from someone like you I'm only 24 so I've got alot of learning to do 😊 thanks for all your advice and help 😊 but yeah I've got it pretty good with this feild at the minute but I'm not sure where else I'm legally allowed to go detecting?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww wow what a lovely story it's good to have a nice hobby your going to be my inspiration 😊 My little girl comes with me she's 5 and she is loving it also still working on getting my girlfriend to come πŸ˜‚, I will definitely take you up on PM'ing you as I can really learn from someone like you I'm only 24 so I've got alot of learning to do 😊 thanks for all your advice and help 😊 but yeah I've got it pretty good with this feild at the minute but I'm not sure where else I'm legally allowed to go detecting?
Good luck with the GF, that would be a rare thing, although I have met a few partners. I tried taking my younger Brother once & he fell asleep in the stubble. It's not for everyone. My X got me horse riding more than I got her detecting...lol
Your not legally allow anywhere without landowners permission. Some urban myths like your OK on a footpath or common-land is not correct.
Just keep building on the relationship you have with the current owner, do some research in that area, & use your contact as a way into his/her neighbouring land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread