What's new

✅ SOLVED Antique Rolled Gold Copper Bronze Box

chadkeath

Full Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2013
Messages
230
Reaction score
319
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi and hope everyone is having a wonderful evening/night. And thank you in advance for help. I am trying to find out anything about this piece. It is marked on bottom but I have come up empty on identifying age, history of maker and what the mark means. It reads Rolled Gold Hard Copper. K& Co. it has to have some good age to it. I’ve never seen a box saying rolled gold. Has amazing claw feet and top great relief design. It is 7x4 inches. Hoping anyone can shed some light.
 

Attachments

  • 404F5A00-9C15-4A51-BA12-B2F2E2C88EBD.webp
    404F5A00-9C15-4A51-BA12-B2F2E2C88EBD.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
  • 7EB2DF2A-476D-4627-B778-1CE70A7E867A.webp
    7EB2DF2A-476D-4627-B778-1CE70A7E867A.webp
    852 KB · Views: 100
  • 54B97BCD-2031-4B6B-883C-79866E228ABA.webp
    54B97BCD-2031-4B6B-883C-79866E228ABA.webp
    537.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 62B459E5-8054-480B-914A-F8FA7C255F68.webp
    62B459E5-8054-480B-914A-F8FA7C255F68.webp
    805.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 264ED3E2-472F-4C89-AE05-857D0D9D210C.webp
    264ED3E2-472F-4C89-AE05-857D0D9D210C.webp
    820.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 8B4CDCF1-EF1A-4487-8F92-95954690AEB2.webp
    8B4CDCF1-EF1A-4487-8F92-95954690AEB2.webp
    708.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 59ED2B32-52F5-479E-BA47-04A7F22D2696.webp
    59ED2B32-52F5-479E-BA47-04A7F22D2696.webp
    739.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 790C25E1-1E65-4FDB-9A82-64738113C1B0.webp
    790C25E1-1E65-4FDB-9A82-64738113C1B0.webp
    450.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 92ADFB54-116C-4DDD-A83C-CE43F45042C3.webp
    92ADFB54-116C-4DDD-A83C-CE43F45042C3.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
Found a listing on Etsy that lists it as K O & Co. Some things listed under with the same mark.

 
Upvote 1
This is a Kronheim & Oldenbusch trinket box, they were usa based and lasted from the late 1800s up to 1939 when it closed down, this company made many souviniers for the usa market using the old metal skills to make figurines and other pieces made from different metals. This particular item looks to be right around the turn of the century, the logo on the bottom of the box is a K inside an O, (K & O co.), hope that helps, I don't have any idea of the value though.
 
Upvote 8
Thank you. Even with glasses I couldn’t read it.

Well I cheated on that part, looking at it on my phone I can zoom in and read it clearly. Comes in handy when I'm trying to read markings on guns. My eyes aren't what they use to be either.
 
Upvote 2
I am wondering if someone put multiple parts together or a repair was made so it has multiple types of metal in it.
 
Upvote 0
A great little fancy box! Perfect for silver coins and ring storage!
 
Upvote 0
I am wondering if someone put multiple parts together or a repair was made so it has multiple types of metal in it.

It appears to be as made by the manufacturer. It's not uncommon to use a mix of colors when working in copper or brass and gold to create a unique piece.
 
Upvote 0
It appears to be as made by the manufacturer. It's not uncommon to use a mix of colors when working in copper or brass and gold to create a unique piece.
So it is kind of like the SD (rose?) gold multi colored jewelry? I think it was overkill and took away from great shapley carved shape designs on the top.
 
Upvote 0
So it is kind of like the SD (rose?) gold multi colored jewelry? I think it was overkill and took away from great shapley carved shape designs on the top.

Bingo, also like Black Hills gold jewelry. What some people see as gaudy is seen as beauty by others, and vice-versa. As the old adage goes "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
So it is kind of like the SD (rose?) gold multi colored jewelry? I think it was overkill and took away from great shapley carved shape designs on the top.
Remember, this company was producing products from the late 1800s through to 1939. 1877 through the 1890s was the gilded age, a time when the rich and famous were gaudy beyond compare the public wanted to be able to mimic this prosperity. Products like this were seen as a way to do just that. It's actually quite a nice example of the period.
 
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom