What's new

Antique spoon?

SquidRow

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2017
Messages
56
Reaction score
457
Golden Thread
0
Location
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any help on identifying this spoon would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    510.9 KB · Views: 193
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    531.2 KB · Views: 172
Spoon

I tried taking better pictures, it doesn’t show how the handle is attached so it might not be as old? Thanks for the help.
 

Attachments

  • 860D1533-8F34-4C7A-BB56-D36A52856CA7.webp
    860D1533-8F34-4C7A-BB56-D36A52856CA7.webp
    119.3 KB · Views: 78
  • E7E8C074-F45E-44B8-AD01-AAD965B92419.webp
    E7E8C074-F45E-44B8-AD01-AAD965B92419.webp
    172.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 18067565-EA44-490A-AFF1-43461F026B08.webp
    18067565-EA44-490A-AFF1-43461F026B08.webp
    342.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 495F2FB2-DD9D-45DF-8A08-99A8926AB89E.webp
    495F2FB2-DD9D-45DF-8A08-99A8926AB89E.webp
    73.7 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
Spoon

Trying to not have a blurry picture
 

Attachments

  • 8418E31B-C7DF-4795-90C2-A7A6644C8690.webp
    8418E31B-C7DF-4795-90C2-A7A6644C8690.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 97C006D2-593D-4E08-962E-50F44717F1CF.webp
    97C006D2-593D-4E08-962E-50F44717F1CF.webp
    207.7 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0
Thanks. Hope some people chime in with some info. It was probably made I one single piece. I think it’s what was discussed earlier. It’s super old I think and a crazy good find! [emoji106]
 
Upvote 0
Dang! That's an old old spoon. Awesome find.
 
Upvote 0
It is a nice find. :thumbsup:

As to age - I've never seen a period apostle spoon that was forged in one piece. The attachment point for the handle and the patina point to a much more modern spoon. These are defining features when considering the age of a spoon.

Typically the early Apostle spoons were made in sets for wealthy patrons. They were used for display and to impress important visitors. These early spoons were invariably silver with a gold gilt wash on the Apostle figure. Your spoon is neither silver nor does it show any signs of gilding. It may have originally been silver plated which also points to a later era.

I'm thinking it's a decorator piece and appears to date from about 1880 to the modern era. Here is an 1895 period example of a spoon that's similar in materials and construction to yours.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom