What's new

Antique spoon?

SquidRow

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2017
Messages
56
Reaction score
457
Golden Thread
0
Location
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any help on identifying this spoon would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    510.9 KB · Views: 193
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    531.2 KB · Views: 172
Very cool spoon.
Sorry no help on age or ID
 
Upvote 0
Cool spoon! :thumbsup:
It's likely a pewter spoon, with neat handle...!
 
Upvote 0
squidrow ; If you found the spoon while searching a suspected treasure site, and it was placed around an unfamiliar rock to the area you could have a treasure " key ". Take the bottom of the spoon and place it around the area and try to fit it to the position of that spot, handle pointing up then go in the direction of the tip of the handle. If it is a key you should find an area that looks like that figure , work out the grid it shows. Don't get discouraged the area could be quite large. If none of this works for you then you probably just have a really neat spoon. Best of luck; Reblesmom.
 
Upvote 0
Great looking spoon save. Congrats
 
Upvote 0
Based on what I have found in Bill Dancy's book, Discovering Virginia's Colonial Artifacts, your spoon looks like it's from the 17th century and made of latten (an alloy of copper, zinc, and iron)
 
Upvote 0
Daggone it Marshall, you got a really good one there!!
 
Upvote 0
I have personally removed all the cans, bottle caps, pull tabs, oil filters, gas caps and washers so these Massachusetts boys can find all the good stuff. Very nice spoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks! I am trying to date it, I don’t want to get my hopes up but I think pretty old.
 
Upvote 0
Can you flip it over and post a picture of the bottom? Especially how the bowl is joined to the handle? May give a big clue of age! [emoji16][emoji106]
 
Upvote 0
A quick look and I found one that looks like yours but it’s super old. Look at #3...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542760496.733007.webp
 
Upvote 0
I see lots of others that look like yours and they are all 1500’s to 1700’s. Mostly 1550’s-1650’s. You may have a very special spoon find there! [emoji16][emoji106]
 
Upvote 0
That spoon is probably far better of a find than you may realize. One outstanding find and certainly banner worthy!
 
Upvote 0
That spoon is probably far better of a find than you may realize. One outstanding find and certainly banner worthy!

Agreed. In one piece and in that condition it could be a rare find indeed. Depending on what’s its made of may be important to preserve it properly as well. I’m no expert at all on spoons of that type and that possible age but something tells me it’s a special one. I hope to hear more on the story of him
finding it! [emoji16]
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, I will post a better picture of it right away tomorrow. If I were to try and clean around the mark in the bowl how would I do that? And how should I protect it?
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, I will post a better picture of it right away tomorrow. If I were to try and clean around the mark in the bowl how would I do that? And how should I protect it?

If it seems stable and the no change in condition than you’ll be ok for now. Just try to get a positive identification to find out age and what it’s made of. Post more pics when you can for sure! [emoji16][emoji106]
 
Upvote 0
Now that's an incredible find! :occasion14:
Here is a similar example to yours from the period. :thumbsup:

Dave


An apostle spoon is a spoon (usually silver or silver-plated, but sometimes of other metals, such as pewter) with an image of an apostle or other saint as the termination of the handle, each bearing his distinctive emblem. Apostle spoons were particularly popular in Pre-Reformation times when belief in the services of a patron saint was still strong. They symbolize the Last Supper of Christ in the company of the Apostles. Apostle spoons were especially popular in England, but were also found in large numbers in Germany.

Originating in early-fifteenth century in Europe as spoons used at table (often produced in sets of thirteen, the thirteenth, showing Jesus, usually being referred to as the 'Saviour' or 'Master' spoon). The British Museum in London has a set from England dating from 1536—7 which has a figure of the Virgin Mary on the thirteenth spoon. By the sixteenth century they had become popular as baptismal presents for godchildren, but were dying out by the 1660s. In some communities this tradition continued until at least the mid-twentieth century.
 

Attachments

  • image-crop.webp
    image-crop.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 66
  • images.webp
    images.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom