Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool spoon! :thumbsup:
It's likely a pewter spoon, with neat handle...!

Upvote 0

Rebelsmom

Jan 17, 2017
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
squidrow ; If you found the spoon while searching a suspected treasure site, and it was placed around an unfamiliar rock to the area you could have a treasure " key ". Take the bottom of the spoon and place it around the area and try to fit it to the position of that spot, handle pointing up then go in the direction of the tip of the handle. If it is a key you should find an area that looks like that figure , work out the grid it shows. Don't get discouraged the area could be quite large. If none of this works for you then you probably just have a really neat spoon. Best of luck; Reblesmom.

Upvote 0

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on what I have found in Bill Dancy's book, Discovering Virginia's Colonial Artifacts, your spoon looks like it's from the 17th century and made of latten (an alloy of copper, zinc, and iron)

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I have personally removed all the cans, bottle caps, pull tabs, oil filters, gas caps and washers so these Massachusetts boys can find all the good stuff. Very nice spoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SquidRow

SquidRow

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I am trying to date it, I don’t want to get my hopes up but I think pretty old.

Upvote 0

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you flip it over and post a picture of the bottom? Especially how the bowl is joined to the handle? May give a big clue of age! [emoji16][emoji106]

Upvote 0

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A quick look and I found one that looks like yours but it’s super old. Look at #3...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1542760496.733007.jpg

Upvote 0

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see lots of others that look like yours and they are all 1500’s to 1700’s. Mostly 1550’s-1650’s. You may have a very special spoon find there! [emoji16][emoji106]

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That spoon is probably far better of a find than you may realize. One outstanding find and certainly banner worthy!

Upvote 0

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That spoon is probably far better of a find than you may realize. One outstanding find and certainly banner worthy!

Agreed. In one piece and in that condition it could be a rare find indeed. Depending on what’s its made of may be important to preserve it properly as well. I’m no expert at all on spoons of that type and that possible age but something tells me it’s a special one. I hope to hear more on the story of him
finding it! [emoji16]

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SquidRow

SquidRow

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help, I will post a better picture of it right away tomorrow. If I were to try and clean around the mark in the bowl how would I do that? And how should I protect it?

Upvote 0

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help, I will post a better picture of it right away tomorrow. If I were to try and clean around the mark in the bowl how would I do that? And how should I protect it?

If it seems stable and the no change in condition than you’ll be ok for now. Just try to get a positive identification to find out age and what it’s made of. Post more pics when you can for sure! [emoji16][emoji106]

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's an incredible find! :occasion14:
Here is a similar example to yours from the period. :thumbsup:

Dave

An apostle spoon is a spoon (usually silver or silver-plated, but sometimes of other metals, such as pewter) with an image of an apostle or other saint as the termination of the handle, each bearing his distinctive emblem. Apostle spoons were particularly popular in Pre-Reformation times when belief in the services of a patron saint was still strong. They symbolize the Last Supper of Christ in the company of the Apostles. Apostle spoons were especially popular in England, but were also found in large numbers in Germany.

Originating in early-fifteenth century in Europe as spoons used at table (often produced in sets of thirteen, the thirteenth, showing Jesus, usually being referred to as the 'Saviour' or 'Master' spoon). The British Museum in London has a set from England dating from 1536—7 which has a figure of the Virgin Mary on the thirteenth spoon. By the sixteenth century they had become popular as baptismal presents for godchildren, but were dying out by the 1660s. In some communities this tradition continued until at least the mid-twentieth century.

Attachments

• image-crop.jpg
    image-crop.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 42
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread