ANTIQUE THIMBLE FROM 1800s MANSION! INTERESTING MONOPOLY HISTORY INVOLVED!

money malcolm

Apr 5, 2015
Denver
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ANTIQUE THIMBLE FROM 1800's MANSION! INTERESTING MONOPOLY HISTORY INVOLVED!

This is an antique thimble I found metal detecting a mansion built in 1890 in Trinidad
Co. It has the words "for a good girl" inscribed. These thimbles were given to little girls
from their mothers when they were old enough to learn how to sew. I've dated it it back
to the time period of 1900-1920.
foragoodgirl.jpg
Before Monopoly was called Monopoly it was called "The Landlords Game" It was
invented by Charles Darrow. In his version of the game there were NO game pieces
, you had to use things around the house. Key , button, etc. One of the items used
by Charles Darrow's daughters to play the game was a thimble that came with a girls
baking kit.(Dowst Favor Fortune Telling Cake) The thimble that came in that kit said,
"For a Good Girl". She also used Cracker Jack Toys.
7160cakefavor3.jpg
When the game was bought by Parker Brothers and name changed to Monopoly they decided
to include game pieces. Monopoly heard about Darrow's daughters using the Cracker Jack toys
and baking kit trinkets as game pieces. By coincidence they had a relationship already with the
people who manufactured toys for "Cracker Jack" and the "Dowst Favor Fortune Telling Cake".
They bought the rights for the thimble and 3 other toys that were included in the game.
The Monopoly thimble included the words "For a Good Girl" until it was changed in the 40's

The "For a Good Girl" thimbles and tradition have been said to have been around
BEFORE they were included in the girls baking kit and Monopoly. I am certain my
thimble is one BEFORE the girls baking kit and Monopoly. (early,early,1900's)

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread