Antler Knife, vintage please

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
--while clearing brush and debris from around my abandoned 1816 house here in the Finger Lakes, I found this item. Though I doubt it'a as old as the house, I would like to know the vintage and best way to 'bring it back to life', i.e., remove rust, polish and sharpen the still springy steel. It appears to have a silver ring where it attaches to the handle. I do hope to find a makers mark once it's cleaned up. Thanks for any info, da Prof--- Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 10.09.09 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 10.09.49 AM.png

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a carving set from Germany, brought back after WW2. Stag handled set, marked E. Knecht and Co. Solingen Rostfrei, the knife blade is shaped exactly like that.

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a carving set from Germany, brought back after WW2. Stag handled set, marked E. Knecht and Co. Solingen Rostfrei, the knife blade is shaped exactly like that.
I have one my parents got me and my wife for a wedding present, they brought it back from Germany, oddly enough, the exact same shape. Cool find though

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My set was brought back by my great aunt, stationed in Germany with the Army Air Corps right after the war. It was gifted to my Mother, then to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aka da Prof

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for that info, I'll be googling the best way to clean it up, and hope to find that make-- and put it to use once more!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread