What's new

Any Idea? Found with other CW Items

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
420
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this thing yesterday. I have found one before and do not know what it is. I think its possibly made of lead. Has small bumps in center. Any help would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • Unk.webp
    Unk.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 355
  • Unk1.webp
    Unk1.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 329
Sure looks like a shot bullet to me,probably a Minnie' :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I hope you find out cause I have dug 4 of those all in Civil War camps and I have yet to id them. Mine have the little spike looking things inside them also. Same thing.
 

Attachments

  • relics 104.webp
    relics 104.webp
    73 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0
DirtyMike said:
I hope you find out cause I have dug 4 of those all in Civil War camps and I have yet to id them. Mine have the little spike looking things inside them also. Same thing.

We probably are pretty close to each others hunting grounds, I would like to find out what they are.
 
Upvote 0
RiverRat3 said:
DirtyMike said:
I hope you find out cause I have dug 4 of those all in Civil War camps and I have yet to id them. Mine have the little spike looking things inside them also. Same thing.

We probably are pretty close to each others hunting grounds, I would like to find out what they are.

Me too. I have tried and tried. All of these came from different camps.
 
Upvote 0
DirtyMike said:
RiverRat3 said:
DirtyMike said:
I hope you find out cause I have dug 4 of those all in Civil War camps and I have yet to id them. Mine have the little spike looking things inside them also. Same thing.

We probably are pretty close to each others hunting grounds, I would like to find out what they are.

Me too. I have tried and tried. All of these came from different camps.

These are lead headed nails use to make a waterproof nail hole for gavenized roofing. Commanly use up into the 1950 The lead cover the nail head helping to make a water proof nail hole and help keep the nail from rusting. I have used a lot of them in my younger days
 
Upvote 0
ldmorrill said:
DirtyMike said:
RiverRat3 said:
DirtyMike said:
I hope you find out cause I have dug 4 of those all in Civil War camps and I have yet to id them. Mine have the little spike looking things inside them also. Same thing.

We probably are pretty close to each others hunting grounds, I would like to find out what they are.

Me too. I have tried and tried. All of these came from different camps.

These are lead headed nails use to make a waterproof nail hole for gavenized roofing. Commanly use up into the 1950 The lead cover the nail head helping to make a water proof nail hole and help keep the nail from rusting. I have used a lot of them in my younger days
Thanks, makes a lot of sense, Specially with the grooved center marks.
 
Upvote 0
Those are lead caps to roofing nails used to seal roofs way back.
Newt
 
Upvote 0
Newt, they must have used a lot of roofing nails on the CW sites i have found these. No buildings or huts.
 
Upvote 0
You can still buy those nails with the lead heads at home depot. We use them still on barns and cabins.
Not saying that is what they are though but have never found them in cw camps but have on old homesites. They may have been snagging them to melt and mold
bullets? That would makes sense as we have found large blocks of lead on sites.
 
Upvote 0
Lead was lead, it can be melted and reused.
These guys scrounged the lead and made their own bullets for the most part
especially CSA soldiers who carried a managerie of different calibers and makes of guns.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Out here on the North fork there was 3 CW training camps one of the camps must of been a firing range for practice me and my buddy s have found thousands of those bullets in fields or woods flattened or whole we filled a 5 gallon bucket, this year my friend decided to melt them down at his shop and he made 200 fishing sinkers at .40 a ounce retail, at least they went for a good use :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom