129.7 KB · Views: 397
  • Engraving.JPG
    Engraving.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 315
Upvote 0

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
Kahuna-

Good find.....Keep your eyes peeled at that site.

Can we see some other angles?

T.

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

I don't wish to dash your enthusiasm, but if I were to venture a guess based solely on your photo I would say that's a geofact and not an artifact.

Hematite often has natural grooves and depressions in it such as that has. It is always possible its man-altered, I have learned to never say never in this business, but my guess would be not.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Interesting item but I agree with Atlantis. If it was a worked piece there would be small scratches and abrasions in the grooves and pit. Rubbed hematite forms are often found on sites that are in the shape of cones, balls and other forms that may have been ground to make paint. On the other hand, just as you found it interesting a native American may have also and kept it as a charm stone, especially if it was found on a site.However, without scratches or abrasion marks this is only speculation.

OP
OP
K

Kahuna

Tenderfoot
Sep 29, 2007
Thank you all for the input. I've attached a couple more shots of the piece and a grouping of some of the many shapes I've picked up of the same material.
Don't worry Atlantis, you haven't dashed my enthusiasm (Or my imagination) :D. I appreciate your opinion.
Rege, what I have noticed about this material is that you can abrade it and rub it smooth again with your finger. Could this be why there are no scratches?
The items I have found are from an area along the Illinois River that is rich in Indian history.

I have a couple other pictures of items I will post. I'll try not to become a pest.
Thanks Again

Attachments

• Engraved 1.jpg
    Engraved 1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Engraved 2.jpg
    Engraved 2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Engraved 3.jpg
    Engraved 3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Hematite.jpg
    Hematite.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 234

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Kahuna...the first stone in the bottom picture top row, looks like some of the worked hematite that is found on Monongahela sites in my area. Does it have any noticeable scratches or abrasions? Don`t ever think that your posts are not important, all of us can learn through discussion and different points of view. Keep them coming.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Kahuna said:
This item is about 1" square and appears to be engraved on hematite. Found on the surface where topsoil was just removed from a gravel pit. Looks birdlike to me.
Interesting indeed, may be a geo fact,but I,d keep it,I can,t say for sure .
Jeff

Christ_in_you

Sep 14, 2007
I hate to stir controversy, but is that a crack and small pit in the cup????? Nutting stone maybe? Not engraved though.Ray

Attachments

• pictures 020.jpg
    pictures 020.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 223
  • pictures 020.jpg
    pictures 020.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 239
OP
OP
K

Kahuna

Tenderfoot
Sep 29, 2007
Rege-PA said:
Kahuna...the first stone in the bottom picture top row, looks like some of the worked hematite that is found on Monongahela sites in my area. Does it have any noticeable scratches or abrasions? Don`t ever think that your posts are not important, all of us can learn through discussion and different points of view. Keep them coming.
No scratches or abrasion Rege. All the pieces are smooth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread