What's new

Any ideas on this one?

DrGrip

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2009
Messages
491
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
All 4 pics are of the same rock. There are 2 distinct patterns on here and I've never encountered this before. These pics are from my phone, I'll get better ones later if needed for ID assistance.

I found this in the creek bed in Collin County, TX.
 

Attachments

  • rock1.webp
    rock1.webp
    55.5 KB · Views: 292
  • rock2.webp
    rock2.webp
    57.6 KB · Views: 288
  • rock3.webp
    rock3.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 292
  • rock4.webp
    rock4.webp
    56 KB · Views: 285
Mosasaurfiend said:
Looks like the septa (inside of the ammonite wall).
That's exactly what these represent. The fluted surfaces are the evidence (an internal cast) of the walls (septa) of a large ammonoid shell. These walls separate chambers (camerae) in the shell. Each wall was laid down sequentially at the rear of the living chamber as the animal grew in size.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom