What's new

ANY ideas on this thing???

tokens70

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
445
Reaction score
92
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
Found this thing in a city dump that dates from ca. 1900 to 1920 at the latest, looks to be chrome plated copper. :icon_scratch: Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, T
 

Attachments

  • 2162.webp
    2162.webp
    91.8 KB · Views: 427
  • 2163.webp
    2163.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 2170.webp
    2170.webp
    78.2 KB · Views: 417
  • 2164.webp
    2164.webp
    91.4 KB · Views: 429
  • 2165.webp
    2165.webp
    64.6 KB · Views: 426
  • 2166.webp
    2166.webp
    90.6 KB · Views: 434
  • 2167.webp
    2167.webp
    94.8 KB · Views: 412
I agree collapsible cup,

There are Civil War / Indian War / Spanish American War era folding cups , nickel and silver plated , pocketwatch style case , advertising cups , engraved cups ,etc. in every size, material, and style . Some date from as early as 1860's Civil War era up to 1890's Victorian era and some will date into the 1930's and 40's by which time they were going out of favor. These were used by officers and some enlisted men alike in the early years. They were later used by gamblers , pioneers and travelers around the world and they became quite ornate and fancy by the end of the 19th century . It was common to see cups like these in the vest pocket or purse of wealthy gentlemen and ladies in the late 1800's to the early 1900's . Early in the 1900's they began using these as methods of advertisements in the form of Give-a-Ways or Premiums .

Nova Treasure

N
 

Attachments

  • cup_collection_1.webp
    cup_collection_1.webp
    70.9 KB · Views: 413
Upvote 0
It seems strange that there is a hole in the base of that example :icon_scratch:

They still make them - here's one I have, for Milford Whisky. A rare New Zealand Single Malt. :icon_thumleft:

Milford collapsible cup.2.webp

Mike
 
Upvote 0
I was going to say collapsible cup, until I saw the hole, but I guess something fell out or you need to drink real fast.

Great cup collection.
 
Upvote 0
Sorry for the late reply! I believe that you are correct in saying collapsible cup because I found a small round piece jammed in between the links & it fits perfectly where the hole is!!!!!! ::) Thanks again :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I believe it is solved!!! :hello2:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom