Any interest in an Android app that shows silver content of foreign coins?

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen enough people ask about foreign coins on here to think it might be useful for those occasional CRH foreign coins or even going through a LCS's "junk" foreign. I'd be able to throw it together pretty quick if you all think there would be interest.

Upvote 0

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an app that already shows some but not too many. There are so many of them out there. I could really use an app like that and I was thinking of learning VB or whatever is needed to make one of my own or get a friend of mine to do it on the side for a few bucks.

OP
OP
F

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an app that already shows some but not too many. There are so many of them out there. I could really use an app like that and I was thinking of learning VB or whatever is needed to make one of my own or get a friend of mine to do it on the side for a few bucks.

Android uses Java. The programming for something like this would actually be really simple, it's just a GUI (graphical user interface) slapped over a database; I could probably finish that part in a day. Doing the research and filling the database would be the time-consuming part.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it would be useful, I've got a "silver calculator" app on my phone and use it fairly often.

Wouldn't really be too hard to program and I've been thinking about doing something like that for a while but never had the motivation to really start on it.

But yes, one for all the major countries (with pictures!)

It would be best if everything was cached locally rather than retrieving it online because I tend to have poor cell service at many auctions, estate sales and antique malls.

OP
OP
F

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But yes, one for all the major countries (with pictures!)

It would be best if everything was cached locally rather than retrieving it online because I tend to have poor cell service at many auctions, estate sales and antique malls.

It would definitely have pics and data would be stored on the phone (not doing that would actually be harder programatically).

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This would be very useful... just wish I had an Android phone for it... I was eyeing my local coinshops junk foreign coins and wondering which might possibly have silver content.

OP
OP
F

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I made the app, and screenshots are below. Any thoughts or suggestions? Once I fill in more data, it will go on the the Android market as Silver Coin Database (at which point I will stop talking about it as to not run afoul of advertising rules :wink:).

home.png country list.png coins.png data.png

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I made the app, and screenshots are below. Any thoughts or suggestions? Once I fill in more data, it will go on the the Android market as Silver Coin Database (at which point I will stop talking about it as to not run afoul of advertising rules :wink:).

View attachment 716407 View attachment 716405 View attachment 716404 View attachment 716406

It looks nice. I'll tell my friend to get it. Will it be a paid app? Too bad I can't get it since I don't have an Android system phone. :(

jdp311

Nov 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to download. Very useful for a noob in the world for CRH who might miss something. Thank you!

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Good, that means I can stop on mine lol. I was having issued getting things to work on my phone, perhaps because its never been updated since I rooted it, still running 2.2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody! And it is free, though I'll probably release a paid version with no ads and extra features eventually.

hellzpriest

Nov 6, 2012
I now have your app on my phone. Love it! Very informative, thank you for the contribution of knowledge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread