What's new

Any luck with String and sons rolls?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
I have only bought a couple of the boxes from different banks without much success. I have the chance to get some of their boxes tomorrow from a bank. The have a very bright yellow wrapper you can barely read.

My main bank won't have new boxes in for a couple of days and I was needing a half dollar fix. I have been buying lots of hand rolls lately without any luck. It seems like almost every local bank lately has 50 to 300 in hand rolls when I call. I think the increased CRHing is resulting in all the rolls.

Jim
 
Upvote 0
Ive gotten these rolls from comerica bank 3 times and have never found any keepers even the new coins are all beat up nothing worth saving for a collection they come in a long flat box with holes in it i think thats where all the silver ones fall out
 
Mine came in the same kind of box, with the holes. Supposed to be some kind of security feature so banks can verify amounts. I have noticed that alot of coins from them came with the rims completely smooth and the rest of the coins pretty beat up. Somebody here said that is from slot machine usage (smooth rims). Maybe that company buys up halves from casinos or something?

I may pick them up just for something to look through. Can't be any worse than the hand rolls I have had lately. I have not been asking so much about if they were brought in by one person or multiple persons, due to the fact that people here have said they scored some good rolls when they were all brought in by one person. I guess though if it is over 100 or so worth chances are they are CRHer rejects.

Jim
 
I have had the best luck with hand rolls lately one bank had 400 worth but i only had 200 on me got to the car and the wrappers said 1965-1969 and i was like sure sure and i opened it up and i was wrong the whole rolls was silver 40%s except for one 1964 this is my glory story because out of the 200 i got 137 keepers guess what i went back the next day and baught the other 200 and got 49 more keepers most of the others were full rolls of 1976's i asked if they get alot of halves and the teller said not really but theses all came from a lady that comes in here all the time with her dad or grandpa so i go to that bank every other week but they never have any hand rolls anymore so i tried the dimes hoping that she must have cashed in his silver dimes also but nothing
 
That is awesome. The only thing I had similar is that one time I bought some hand rolls from a rural bank. Three of the rolls had 64 Kennedys written on it. I thought it was a joke from some CRHer. But they were in fact three full rolls of 64s. The other rolls had some 40%s mixed in too.

I have two local banks that has some hand rolls I am going to try tomorrow as well. One has $80 and one has $170 or so. I imagine they will be rejects, but they are near where I am going so I might as well give it a shot.

Jim
 
I had a good day with hand rolls today...got me one of them full rolls and the other 7 had 1-2 one had 3 in it!
String and son I have seen on here produce well for some and crap for others-I am in the crap catagory, I think I may have gotten seven from a box... when I first started I seem to remember liking the boxes as I had only had a few rolls from a bank that DID produce, but since that-not much to brag about...I think that may be where the Jackson metal dumps have gone,at least in northern IN...lots and lots of black dot from markers too!!!!!!!
 
hello, yes i would buy them in a second, that monster silver box could be just around the corner. i hope for your luck it might be these. good luck and HH
 
Jersey Devil,

What's up with the Jackson Metal story? I have seen talk of it where some company bought up alot of silver halves or something? Do you have any info? I wonder how they got so many and did they have workers sifting through them?

Photogame,

I will buy the boxes, what the heck I guess. I have a few new dump branches, so I am not as stressed about getting rid of rejects like I was.

Jim
 
Doing some googling I found the following re: Jackson Metals.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/03/31/080331fa_fact_owen


http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007/11/ohio_lawmker_wants_to_lift_ban.html

The second article was written in Nov 2007, so I don't know how long it takes for the rejects to show back up. With so many, I cannot imagine any bank wanting to take all of them back from Jackson.

The article also says removing pre 64 (they meant pre 65 I suppose). So does that mean they took the 40%too? I am happy getting those anymore, so I hope they left those out.

Jim
 
I would hit them boxes Jim, you just never know in this game .. hmmm hmmm silver fix ha ... I dont know about those boxes cuz I havent opened enough of them yet to know ... only 40-50 rolls so ????? I am going to grab some of them there is 2 out of town banks that will sell me 200.00 max at a time , there is some business customers that use them .... as far as handrolls I get suspicious when they have a whole box of them ... but the last box did produce 4 90% and 5 40% ....I have punch some decent numbers out those in the 300.00 range one never knows in this game ????? The post I made yesterday most of those keeepers came out of 360.00 worth and I do believe that they came from one person, someones hoard...



Anyways hope that you get a wicked fix by smacking some monster rolls , Ed...
 
Thanks Ed, I will let you know if I find anything.

Jim
 
Hey Jim,
Check Catj's posts ,she has the info on them! As far as opening string boxes or no boxes...Id open anything I can...hell Ive even taken someones dump (dont laugh) for something to look thru and I did find a 40% in that (snicker)dump I took! :icon_jokercolor:HH!
 
FYI-

String and..... is a supplier of wrappers:

http://www.nfstring.com/

CWI (Coin Wrap Inc.), is a contract coin processor that uses most of this String type wrapper:

http://www.coinwrap.com/

For the most part, you'll find Brinks wrapper and the String wrap.
String types can be handled by any number of handlers incl. Loomis, Rochester, Dunbar, etc...
 
TXTim,

Thanks for the info on this. I dont think the String wrappers I get here are from Brinks, so maybe they are CWI. Maybe the bank I get these from use Loomis? I rarely see Loomis vans much anymore around town. I used to see them a few years back quite a bit.

Jim
 
I have gotten those boxes with limited success. 1 or 2 in a couple of them but found I was having more success with Brinks. So I droopped my orders from the banks that get them (Strings and son) and just order from banks that deal with Brinks. I do know that my dump bank sends the returned coin to the fed as they say. So I questioned them a little more and said the truck that picks them up is Total Armor or Loomis and not brinks. between the dozen different banks that operate around here I would say it's a 50/50 mix between suppliers.

Mojo
 
Mojo,

I have had the best luck with Brinks so far as well. I am going to try a couple of the CWI, or whatever they are, tomorrow just for fun. My Brinks rolls won't be in until later in the week.

Jim
 
The first String box I got I poached; had maybe 6-7 40%. The next 7 boxes over 2 months-no keepers.
I did buy $300 worth of loose String rolls 2 weeks ago and "only" found 1 keeper, 1942 WL.
Also, I see bunches of those rounded off halves.

AMC
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom