What's new

Any thoughts on this button?

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this button last week in an area that has yielded finds from the Rev. War up to the 1920s. The backmark is unreadable, but it is marked. Any thoughts? Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Button1Jan16.webp
    Button1Jan16.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Button2Jan16.webp
    Button2Jan16.webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 231
It's a civilian button, and the design is called Basket Weave. Hard to tell how old it is, but they go back at least as far as the Civil War. However, the design is still popular today.
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
It's a civilian button, and the design is called Basket Weave. Hard to tell how old it is, but they go back at least as far as the Civil War. However, the design is still popular today.

looks like steel back, so post 1900.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
creskol said:
It's a civilian button, and the design is called Basket Weave. Hard to tell how old it is, but they go back at least as far as the Civil War. However, the design is still popular today.

looks like steel back, so post 1900.

Agreed .. Good point Crusader! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks gang for the info. After reading the post, I put a green check, but after doing some research on 'basket weave,' I don't know if this pattern is BW or not. On all of the BW buttons I saw, the pattern was 'over & under.' This one is more like squares beside each other with nothing 'weaving.' Any more thoughts? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Thanks gang for the info. After reading the post, I put a green check, but after doing some research on 'basket weave,' I don't know if this pattern is BW or not. On all of the BW buttons I saw, the pattern was 'over & under.' This one is more like squares beside each other with nothing 'weaving.' Any more thoughts? Breezie

I think generically they are referred to as Basket Weave. Within that range, there are many variations, and I am pretty sure your button would fall in there somewhere. I looks like yours has an over/under weave pattern to it, maybe no so much in the squares,but definitely in the threads.
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
It's a civilian button, and the design is called Basket Weave. Hard to tell how old it is, but they go back at least as far as the Civil War. However, the design is still popular today.

Creskol, you're on a roll! After cleaning the button and studying a little more, I do see the basketweave. I think it was optical illusion at first to me in that all I could see was a checkerboard. It is quite interesting in that to make the basketweave effect, every other nib is from portrait to landscape. Thanks again Crusader & Creskol. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • BasketWeavebuitton.webp
    BasketWeavebuitton.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom