What's new

✅ SOLVED Help with age of large button

bologna321

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2017
Messages
1,182
Reaction score
2,953
Golden Thread
0
Location
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can I get some opinions on the age of this button?

I dug this the other day at one of my sites where I found some of the oldest items I've ever found in this area which was first settled in the 1830's. At first I thought it was just some modernish coat button, but after looking around I read about dandy buttons and thought maybe there was a chance. If it's that old it would be an insane find for around here. There are no markings or designs. The shank goes down into the raised up area.

Just wondering if anyone would take a guess at approximate age. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260124_043206680.webp
    IMG_20260124_043206680.webp
    327.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20260124_043215479.webp
    IMG_20260124_043215479.webp
    315.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20260124_043226749.webp
    IMG_20260124_043226749.webp
    53.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20260124_043232572~2.webp
    IMG_20260124_043232572~2.webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Wow...that is a big button...as for age.. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
As a general rule (as I understand) the thinner the button the later manufactured. Theory goes that earlier in manufacturing they made thicker buttons as their manufacturing practices weren’t the best. As they improved the buttons could be made thinner.

With that in mind, id guess 1810-1830.

Remember just because it was settled in the 1830s doesn’t mean older stuff isn’t there. The folks that settled wore something that they acquired at their previous homes.
 
Upvote 0
ncsuwolf makes a good point re: older stuff is sometimes found at a later site. Buttons are a good example, as some people even today keep a box of them around to replace those lost.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom