What's new

Anybody ever found 1844 seated dime?

fongu

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2012
Messages
1,342
Reaction score
879
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking in a coin book from the library and they said the 1844 dime was rare. 72,000 were made but few are in collections and I wondered if anybody on this forum had ever found this dime?
 
Upvote 0
That's a good question. There have been some scarce coins found and posted here this year, so there is a chance one will show up someday. The 1844 dimes or half dimes were called "Orphan Annie" for some reason. I'd like to know how they got that nickname as well.
Best of Luck,
Phil
 
Just curious where did you see a reference to "Orphan Annie " connected to these coins ?
 
I found an 1843? My only seated. Close but no cigar.
 
I found an 1844 seated dime in a tear out several years ago. Unfortunately it was well worn and probably would have only graded good. It was the second scarcest coin I have ever found. The scarcest was an 1880 shield nickel. I think the mintage on that was around 19,000. Again, it was so worn that it would only grade as good at best. Two rather scarce coins...and I'm still trying to find that elusive 1877 IHP that has a mintage several times of the two I've listed.

PBS
 
1844Dime.webpCryer.webp
Said coins.

PBS
 
Those are some rare one's, PBS!

Iowa Dale
 
Nice finds on both those coins. Turned in all my library books today and really enjoyed reading about these coins. They were listed as orpah annie and there were quite a few reasons they were rare, but none of those were proved including robbery and other natural disasters.
 
I have never dug one but If I recall ,in W&E treasures Mag (or one similar) that a guy found one 'in decent shape too'
but as my memory is getting worse, It might have been a rare CC minted dime.
Anyhow It was worthy of a magazine article.

Still got all those old NS,Traders, W&E , Treasure ,GOLD! Magazines put up cool looking back & seeing all the Awesome Coins & relics Folk pulled from the Ground in the 70's - 90's.
 
The rarest coin I've found is an 1856 half cent (mintage: 40,430.) I dug it last month. Sadly it was beat up by a lawn mower or other disfiguring machine that whacked the rims around. The underlying details were nice though.
 
Yes... found one several yrs ago... search orphan annie, 1844 dime on this sight.... it made the banner. So far it's my find of a lifetime....
 
Michellets posted the 1844 Orphan Annie dime May 2nd, 2008. You ought to take a look. They don't come out of the ground much nicer. That was indeed a "Banner" coin. (Do you still have it?)
Thanks for starting this thread fongu.
Good Luck,
Phil
 
Nice, congrats!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom