Anybody help me ID this coin?? Pictures

Re: Solved (mostly) Anybody help me ID this coin?? Pictures

cinnamonstick said:
X POST

Hello and thanks for all your help...

I stopped at the coin collector #1 (ended up hitting two)...he was a man of few words. confirmed it was real, silver and 14K gold. That was just about all he said- shipwrecked coin..authentic...and runs about $300 retail.

I went to a second place that was much more friendly. This man said many of the same things...added it was 1R (nice job gentlemen--and ladies) and part of a 8-- 90% silver (as I guess most shipwreck coins are)...said it was in nice condion--not a super big peice....and gave me a guess a bit higher.
He could not tell me a year (uggg....) or the ship it may have come from. I was really wanting that info!
Any guesses?

So you all were right! :) Thanks for the help!

50 "L"...78 USD?? Hoping for more...... I am sure you know your stuff--not second guessing-just hoping for more ...

Your second coin guy is off. It isn't part of an 8 reale, but it is a 1 reale as everyone already chimed in. Your weight pegs it, but also the scale of the cob in relation to your fingers. Now the distinguishing characteristic that indicates the Mexico mint is the "balls" on the ends of the cross. Or you can rotate the shield side photo 180 degrees and you can see the circle over the M to the left of the shield.

Diver_Down said:
cinnamonstick said:
X POST

Hello and thanks for all your help...

I stopped at the coin collector #1 (ended up hitting two)...he was a man of few words. confirmed it was real, silver and 14K gold. That was just about all he said- shipwrecked coin..authentic...and runs about $300 retail.

I went to a second place that was much more friendly. This man said many of the same things...added it was 1R (nice job gentlemen--and ladies) and part of a 8-- 90% silver (as I guess most shipwreck coins are)...said it was in nice condion--not a super big peice....and gave me a guess a bit higher.
He could not tell me a year (uggg....) or the ship it may have come from. I was really wanting that info!
Any guesses?

So you all were right! :) Thanks for the help!

50 "L"...78 USD?? Hoping for more...... I am sure you know your stuff--not second guessing-just hoping for more ...

Your second coin guy is off. It isn't part of an 8 reale, but it is a 1 reale as everyone already chimed in. Your weight pegs it, but also the scale of the cob in relation to your fingers. Now the distinguishing characteristic that indicates the Mexico mint is the "balls" on the ends of the cross. Or you can rotate the shield side photo 180 degrees and you can see the circle over the M to the left of the shield.
Agreed 1 reale shielded type Phillip II-PhillipIV,can't really tell.Here's three 1R's I've found on land & a 8R to compare them to that I had made into jewelry.The price don't really tell how hard they can be to find on land.Putting them to a ship helps I guess but they all were on one at one time to make it to the U.S. ;D :wink:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
A couple sites............
http://www.onetreasurelimited.com/coincollection.html
http://sunkentreasure.com/cobs.html

Attachments

• 000_0001_00[1].jpg
    000_0001_00[1].jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 659
  • 000_0002_00[1].jpg
    000_0002_00[1].jpg
    46 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_0033[1][1].JPG
    IMG_0033[1][1].JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_0034[1][1].JPG
    IMG_0034[1][1].JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 690
  • 000_0001_00[1].jpg
    000_0001_00[1].jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 647
  • 000_0002_00[1].jpg
    000_0002_00[1].jpg
    46 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_0033[1][1].JPG
    IMG_0033[1][1].JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_0034[1][1].JPG
    IMG_0034[1][1].JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 707

WOW! THANKS!! What neat information!!!
Any wild guesses on price? To sell......I need some sort of starting point. THank you!

$199 is a bit high for this piece. It might end at that price if enough potential buyers really want it. Starting at $99 should get enough persons interested where they will actually bid instead of watch. It would be a $125-$150 price in a retail store. Your "coin guys" opinions of $300 or more are not even close. If they are offering you that price, you should take it and run.

Spanish cob! You can search it by google.

cinnamonstick said:
Hello. Trying to ID this coin on my necklace set in 14K yellow gold. It seems the coin may be sliver?? Took a tarnish cloth and lightly buffed--it did remove tarnish (I stopped--afraid it would devalue coin). Had for years--no history known (gift) no papers.
Not sure if you could "buff" (remove tarnish) on something that was NOT silver.

Looks a bit like Atocha...but not quite. 8--but not quite.

I also think that the pendant is "hung" sideways--meaning if you turn the pendant front (where the cross is)---sideways to the LEFT--you can see the two lions and two castles. The pic of the back (where the shield is)--needs to be flipped upside down. I just noticed all of this today (at work) when I printed my pictures and some other coin pics scholarships for college students from online to try to ID. My pics are turned (based on the pendant attachment).

On the back- I cant figuire it out bc it seems that most of the sheilds I see are different looking. Lots missing on the coin. Hope to see a local coin dealer this week.

stamped 14K on back of setting
PLEASE HELP! THANKS A LOT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back