Anybody know the history of Hemet?

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I think they were all silver. If I remember correctly, south of there was a town called Tropico that produced gold. As far as them all being man made, I'm positive. They still have the support timbers in them, most of them have been capped off, and you can't get into them. There's still a few you can get into It's a neat place to visit if you're on your way to Bakersfield, or you find yourself in Lancaster.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
So, I MD'd the old park. Most of the brush is knee high, and hard to walk through. I didn't find anything worthwhile. Two nails and a pull tab. Oh well, maybe I'll try somewhere new next time. Then again, to be honest, I felt like a dork MDing. I hope I find something, (even a penny) next time I go out, or I may just give my dad his MD back, and try panning for gold again. Then again, I've never found a flake of gold doing that either :laughing7: I don't really know what I'm doing when I'm trying to pan.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
So, I MD'd the old park. Most of the brush is knee high, and hard to walk through. I didn't find anything worthwhile. Two nails and a pull tab. Oh well, maybe I'll try somewhere new next time. Then again, to be honest, I felt like a dork MDing. I hope I find something, (even a penny) next time I go out, or I may just give my dad his MD back, and try panning for gold again. Then again, I've never found a flake of gold doing that either :laughing7: I don't really know what I'm doing when I'm trying to pan.

There are a lot of panning training vids on youtube. It's good that you're trying this stuff even though you don't really feel too comfortable with it. Honestly, I get embarrassed when detecting certain areas too. I'm not exactly an expert or anything at it either but I hear that the embarrassment passes with time. I usually go late at night either to parks or beaches. You still get looks and sometimes people make rude comments but most are generally interested in what you're finding. Which, by the way, if you ever find anything and someone asks, always say you haven't found anything! Sometimes people will ask if you've found a gold ring or something because their friend lost one. If you happen to have found one that day and show it to them, they'll claim it's theirs. Always say no and ask for a description and contact info so that you can return it if you find it. If they really did lose a ring and are able to describe the one you found or if you find it later, I'd return it. But never never never let them know what you've found or show them anything without a matching description first.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I watched a ton of videos on youtube yesterday on metal detecting and gold panning. I was headed out to Lytle Creek, and got side tracked. Did you know you can spend 3 1/2 hours in Bass Pro Shops, and not notice? I never made it out to the creek.

I think the beach would be a great place to try, after a long weekend. Just go early in the morning before anyone gets there. It might be worth it.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
I watched a ton of videos on youtube yesterday on metal detecting and gold panning. I was headed out to Lytle Creek, and got side tracked. Did you know you can spend 3 1/2 hours in Bass Pro Shops, and not notice? I never made it out to the creek.

I think the beach would be a great place to try, after a long weekend. Just go early in the morning before anyone gets there. It might be worth it.

I'll tell you the big secret about beach detecting. I haven't tried this tip myself yet but it comes from a very credible source. Apparently they rake the beaches everyday with large machines. These will bury and/or collect the good stuff. The times change for when they do it so it's best to spy on them for a few days to get to know there schedule and where they turn around and miss areas. Check the places they miss and try to detect before they get out there to rake.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it does, yes. Obviously it won't get all of them but from my understanding, they are pretty thorough.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I don't know how many summer nights I've stayed up all night drinking beer, and fishing off of the Ocean Beach pier. I've never ever seen a single piece of machinery on the beach out there. I've gotta pay more attention the next time I go!

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
I don't know how many summer nights I've stayed up all night drinking beer, and fishing off of the Ocean Beach pier. I've never ever seen a single piece of machinery on the beach out there. I've gotta pay more attention the next time I go!

I've fished that pier many times and never saw anything either. I think it's mostly Huntington and Newport. But I frequently fish H.B and don't recall seeing machinery there either. Maybe my source is full of crap! But he owns a treasure hunting supply shop, so I doubt it.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Well, they might do it in nicer beaches. Clean up the seaweed, and make it more attractive to tourists. If I ever see rake marks in the sand, I'll know why they're there now.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
Hello ello llo lo o......

Sorry! Had finals this week so didn't have much time to post here. I might be hitting up some places next weekend though after I get back from vacation. I'm interested in that old settlement you talked about but don't want to go quite yet because I'm not sure if it's public property and since you were the one that found it, I don't want to clean it out before you get a chance to go. If I end up going, I'll let you know and maybe we can hit it up together. Not 100% that I'm going, but I'll let you know.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Yeah hit me up. Even if I can't make it, I don't care if you detect it. I posted it in the forums and made it public knowledge. If I wanted to keep it a secret, I would have PMd you. I haven't even knocked the dust off the detector since the last time I went out and felt like a dork. :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
Yeah hit me up. Even if I can't make it, I don't care if you detect it. I posted it in the forums and made it public knowledge. If I wanted to keep it a secret, I would have PMd you. I haven't even knocked the dust off the detector since the last time I went out and felt like a dork. :laughing7:

I'll PM you once I know if I'll be heading out there this weekend or not. I still wish we knew for sure if it is BLM land or not. I'll try my best to find out but to be honest, I'm not entirely sure how.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I don't know how to check if it's BLM either. There's other places we can go besides that old foundation. Like off of warren Rd, there's a bunch of old slabs and mail boxes, but no houses, and not a single "No trespassing" sign. Those would probably be fun too.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
I don't know how to check if it's BLM either. There's other places we can go besides that old foundation. Like off of warren Rd, there's a bunch of old slabs and mail boxes, but no houses, and not a single "No trespassing" sign. Those would probably be fun too.

Yeah that sounds fun too. I think I'm a stick in the mud though and really like to know for sure that we would be allowed out there. If we find something great, we wouldn't be allowed to keep it. Plus, my dad owns some land and I know he doesn't much care for trespassers. Out of respect for that, I can't really bring myself to potentially trespass. I'll try to figure out how to find out if it's BLM land either tonight or tomorrow. If anyone has tips on how to do so, please feel free to post them here.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
Hey custom, have you found anything MD'ing yet?

I've been gone from this forum for a couple months. Sorry about that. My brother is using my metal detector around his ranch in Montana and I won't get it back for another month or so. He's found a few relics but nothing too great.

TheSentinel

Jan 29, 2012
Beaumont, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I didn't get to read this thread sooner. The silos you located off of Highland Springs at the southern tip of Beaumont are old rocket test sites (which tainted the groundwater at one point). Most of that area is part of the San Jacinto Wildlife Area belonging to the CA Dept. of Fish and Game. Also be advised that there are some munitions ranges with unexploded ordinance within the wildlife area. To be in that area, you must buy a day/annual pass to enjoy public lands (why?). I haven't ventured to far into it yet, but the whole area north of the wildlife area is very interesting to explore. I too am a rookie metal detector trying to get out and explore my area, I've been hitting Google hard.

San Jacinto Wildlife Area link
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region6/sanjacinto/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread