All Treasure Hunting
Good advice. Thanks!

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I live in Hemet.

The train was here to ship oranges out of town to Riverside. If you haven't seen Massacre canyon yet, take State st. North until it becomes Gilman springs road. just past the Scientology center, there's a very short bridge, park on the side of the road, and walk up the canyon. There's old fireplaces and a teepee (teepee is on the left side of the canyon about 1/2 mile in) It's made of bricks and rock. not hard to find if you're looking for it.

Just past Mt. San Jacinto, there's an old park right before you reach the river on the right. I'm going to MD that area soon.

I know of a place out towards Sage on Cactus Valley rd. (I think it's called cactus valley rd.) anyways, take State st. south, eventually it will turn left. Follow it until you see the stop sign. Go straight through the stop sign, and follow the road until it turns left again. On the left, you will see a very crudely made fence (last time I was out there) go through it (I could get my truck through last time I was out there) and follow the dirt road. Go back, and towards the right, and there's some old Indian grinding stones on the ground right before the HUGE ditch. Don't try to drive through that ditch, It took an F250 with four wheel drive , and winch to get me out of there. I got STUCK!! I want to MD that area too.

Also on State st. right after you turn left off of Domenigoni PKWY, look to your right. See those water towers? Above them is a tailings pile. It's easy to see. There's a mine shaft and a tunnel up there, but the tunnel doesn't go very far in. Still neat to walk up to see.

Don't try to sneak into the waterfalls off of Hwy 74 going towards Idyllwild. you'll get arrested. my friends learned that the hard way. If you don't know where they are, I'm not telling you, but you can find them on google earth :wink:

Anyways, if you're into Shooting guns, I know a place to go. Pm me if there's anything else you might be interested in. I might know. I might not. :)

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, treasurechest! Thanks for the tips! The mine you were referring to, I think I know where it is but I'm not sure what they were mining. Any idea?

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Customx_12 said:
Awesome, treasurechest! Thanks for the tips! The mine you were referring to, I think I know where it is but I'm not sure what they were mining. Any idea?

I have no Idea what they were going for up there. I think someone was trying to mine gold, because there's a ton of fools gold, and quarts in the area. That's all the tailings pile seems to be is quartz. Maybe there was something else there? I have no idea

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you really want to get into what each mine was searching for (and its location), I suggest you contact (online) the California Department of Mines and Geology (now California Geologic Survey; Sacramento, CA).

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Oh, and there's a gem mine in Anza. Just take Bautista road, and go to Cahuilla mountain, (you have to take a right somewhere down there, but I can't remember the name of the road).

http://www.gemandmineral.com/audreylynn.html
that link has some of the stuff that's come out of that particular mine. The mine is for sale too.

I don't know exactly where that mine is, but I've wandered around Cahuilla mountain a few times, and found some cool stones.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
Hey Custom,

This looks cool, I just found it online yesterday, I want to go visit it.

http://hikeeveryday.blogspot.com/2009/09/hemet-bell-mine.html

and this site tells you how to get there. I'm going to try to find a way where I don't have to walk on a private road to get there before I go.

http://www.summitpost.org/butterfly-peak-desert-divide/348159

I actually already had the first link bookmarked but that second one is really helpful! Thanks for posting that!

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I just remembered something else about Hemet!!!

if you're heading east on Domenigoni Pkwy, instead of making a left on state, go straight through the light. Go past the trailer park on your left, and pay attention to the hill on your left. There's a dirt road up there, and old house foundations up there.

Google earth Co-ordinates

33°42'08.55"N 116°57'10.05"W

There's trails up there that you can walk all the way to Hemet High School from there.

and here's google earth coordinates to that mine on state I was talking about. The image is a bit outdated. They just installed two new water tanks out there, but the mine is there.

33°42'31.70"N 116°57'40.49"W

Did you know about the missile silos on top of the "S" mountain? I can't remember if I told you or not about them. Here's the google co's on those things

33°52'11.96"N 116°57'40.40"W

I'll let you know more stuff if I can remember it.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see the silos on the last coordinate. How long ago were they there? Also, I'm having a hard time finding the foundations on the first coordinate you gave.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
On the first coordinate, I just showed you where the trail starts . Here's the old house. It still has it's walls up. I hope I posted the right co's for you.
33°42'30.30N 116°57'12.72"W

I just checked the Co's I gave you for the silo. I don't know how I wrote them down wrong. Lets try this again

33°53'10.89N 116°56'10.15"W

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silos are really cool looking! The settlement would be fun to check out too. Are both of these on public land or are they on private property?

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
The silos can be hard to get to. If anyone is up there, you'll be kicked out for sure. I've only been there once, and seen them. I swear people can pop up out of nowhere out there.

as far as the old house, I think it's public land. I know they don't want you off roading up there, but I've hiked up there numerous times without any issues.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But you've never detected up there? How old does it look? Late 1800's or more 1950'ish?

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
It's got cinder block walls. I'd bet probably 1950. I haven't detected anything at all. Ever. My dad said I can borrow his detector (it's just catching dust) so, I want to start going. I'd just like to go with some people who know what they're doing first. I haven't the slightest clue about the right way or wrong way to detect. I don't even know how high you're supposed to hold it off the ground while you swing it :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of detector is it? How old are you anyway?

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I have no idea what kind of detector it is. All I know is that it detects metal :laughing7:. I'll find out more when I go pick it up. I'm 25. How about yourself?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread