What's new

Anybody take their dog detecting?

Lash

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2008
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
S. California
I'm new; just got my first MD. Plan to take my Lab with me because he needs more exercise. He loves to dig (You should see my back yard.). Maybe I can train him to dig targets. (Yuks.)

A dog would provide some security for a lone detectorist in a remote area, especially one like mine who sometimes growls at approaching strangers. He's never bitten anyone but he can put on a good show.

Could strap on saddlebags for him to carry some gear.

HH,

Lash
 
Get a 'Search Dog in Training-DO NOT PET' vest for the Lab. That way you should be able to detect just about anywhere!

 

Attachments

  • woof.webp
    woof.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 403
Lash said:
Good idea, Guy. Can I get one size XXL?

Geeze, sounds like a sausage dog.... with relish...
 
Dakota is a big boy. We call his fat butt South Dakota. He gets plenty of exercise but the kids feed him too much and give him treats throughout the day.

I take him with me whenever practical. Despite his girth, he's always down for a romp.
 
when i take the doggin with, i spend all my time wondering what he is into now....

<<<< note avatar...nose into everything.
 
I'm seriously thinking on getting a dog. My partner has one and he takes her most everywhere. Very useful and necessary while hunting along the U.S.- Mexican border. There's some bad people in the desert and to them taking a life is noooo problem. >:(
 
I took my dog out detecting with me...once. She was scared of the beeping noise that the detector made and she ran away. I had to chase after her and bring her home.
 
I'd take mine scouting for new sites...but he couldn't be trusted to see a deer and decide not to chase it.....I mean look at him....he was just a big kid....and chasing wildlife was just too much fun.

And do you really want a dog on a leash that big, ducking back and forth in front of you as you swing a detector?

And here's a Murphey's Law for you: If your dog takes a crap...a gold ring may just be right under that very spot. :thumbsup:

HH,
Al
 

Attachments

  • 2004_0624Image0001.webp
    2004_0624Image0001.webp
    105.8 KB · Views: 388
every chance i get. some times i have to swat her in the but to get out of the waythough
 
I'll take the pooch .. She just walks around within 30 or 40 feet of me. She tends to keep others away from me. But its on her terms, only if she is not to "busy" napping to go with me.
 

Attachments

  • asd 009.webp
    asd 009.webp
    176.7 KB · Views: 302
Dogs to small to go detecting. My dog would rather bark and chase people then go metal detecting with me. Even though she loves to dig holes. She does it in the backyard. :thumbsup:
 
Heck Yah! Our Little Minpin loves to dig more than me! She was only about 9 weeks when she went on her first excursion. Maybe i'll have to take some photos of her helping next time. It's supposed to be nice up here for a couple days and me and a buddy already have a place planned.
 

Attachments

  • PICT0060.webp
    PICT0060.webp
    38.3 KB · Views: 241
I had a dog once. he was very smart. When I would go out and practice in my coin garden he would sit with his head cocked and his ears perked up and watch me. One day the little sob dug up my coins and ran away to somewhere? I could have killed him if I had caught him. Gosh I miss that dog! Now I have a new dog. Her name is Digsy. She thinks her name is Dixie. She is pretty smart too, but can't read or spell so she don't know the difference. She likes to dig. When I dig in my coin garden she pushes me aside and finishes digging for me. Stupid dog won't fill in her holes even though I've told her to a thousand times. Guess she isn't that smart after all? But she is a good girl and doesn't steal my coin garden coins. She doesn't run off either. At least not yet. If she did I'd miss her too. The end. Monty
 
Lash said:
I'm new; just got my first MD. Plan to take my Lab with me because he needs more exercise. He loves to dig (You should see my back yard.). Maybe I can train him to dig targets. (Yuks.)

A dog would provide some security for a lone detectorist in a remote area, especially one like mine who sometimes growls at approaching strangers. He's never bitten anyone but he can put on a good show.

Could strap on saddlebags for him to carry some gear.

HH,

Lash

Only if he has his own detector and shares 50/50!
 
Lash we take our 2 year old jack russell out with us every weekend, now we do keep on his turn out leash but he has a 25 foot turn out leash to keep him amused after running all day he usually is real quiet at night plus he can really let us know if someone shows up in the area that we are detecting. Of course if we are in a city park he just sits in the front seat and waits for us to get back
hh
dave+bobbie
 
I have in the past taken my pooch ED in some iffy neighborhoods a 85lb. pitbull on a 26 ft. retractable leash,although he is pretty friendly he sure is intimidating!
 
Monty said:
I had a dog once. he was very smart. When I would go out and practice in my coin garden he would sit with his head cocked and his ears perked up and watch me. One day the little sob dug up my coins and ran away to somewhere? I could have killed him if I had caught him. Gosh I miss that dog! Now I have a new dog. Her name is Digsy. She thinks her name is Dixie. She is pretty smart too, but can't read or spell so she don't know the difference. She likes to dig. When I dig in my coin garden she pushes me aside and finishes digging for me. Stupid dog won't fill in her holes even though I've told her to a thousand times. Guess she isn't that smart after all? But she is a good girl and doesn't steal my coin garden coins. She doesn't run off either. At least not yet. If she did I'd miss her too. The end. Monty

Bloody dang hilarious, thanks...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom