Anybody Tried Hunting at Ski Areas/Resorts?

keg11v

Greenie
Dec 9, 2016
Bellingham
Detector(s) used
White's MXT E-series Tracker w/ DD 4x6 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if any of you have had experience metal detecting on ski hills in the off season? I just figure with all those years of people wiping out or fumbling with their gloves in the cold weather, there must be some jewelry in the ground up there!

I'd probably start around chair lift load/unload areas, ski/snowboard racks near the lodges, or anywhere around the lodges I suppose.

Maybe I'll give it a try up at Mount Baker, WA this summer, which is near my home. If nothing else it'd be a beautiful day in the mountains!

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ski resorts (especially the older ones that date to silver times and earlier) have been hit hard. That is a "usual stomping ground" for md'rs who live near ski areas. And you're right about the lift-lines area: All the skiers who stand there will instinctively take off their gloves to reach for trail maps, snacks in their pouch, etc... And the removing-of-gloves is the perfect recipe for rings being pulled off of fingers.

Good luck !

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sledding hills. The bottoms of sledding hills have been very good to me.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought about this the other day. I live between monarch pass ski area and crested Butte mountain. As many gloves and phones as I have seen under the lifts, there surely is jewelry and wallets! I've heard about hikers finding weird stuff. Lots of pipes I'm sure!

Run4Cvr

Apr 11, 2011
Central Washington
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1266X, Whites MXT, Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done very well at old ski resorts, I haven't hit any of the new ones yet. The one I've done best at closed in the 50s, a lot of trash and .22 slugs dug though. google earth is a great resource for locating the lifts and runs.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I hit the ski lifts up in Big Bear and all I found was zippers and lift tags and a few odds and ends but nothing of value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread