Anyone bottle hunt ?

I went digging once with a friend when I was about 19. It was in MS where they cleared out the land for NASA. We got a trunk load of bottles. I have not been since but if you're looking for a digging buddy I'm interested.

Privy digging can be very rewarding. Jeff Bryant of Natchezis about the best bottle digger I know of. :thumbsup:

Thanks GrayCloud ,
I'm not sure about the best part, but yes I do dig alot of bottles...

Well I be, looks like the old boy is now on line. I must have been drunk when I spelled Natchez. :tongue3:

I used to hunt bottles every Friday and Saturday night and would spend Sunday morning trying to climb out of them. ;D

I am going hunting my grandmother house this weekend, I know originaly they didnt have indoor plumbing. How would I go about locating where the privy was? The outhouse is not still standing that I can remember. Been like 20 years since Ive been there.

Hi Mike,
The best way to locate the privy is with a probe. By probing every 2 ft at a slight angle. You can tell when you probe through soil that has been disturbed. Most of the yard should have a simular feel as you probe, when you come across a spot that probes much easier, check carefully to see if you can feel different layers or hear bottle crunch. The privy will have multiple use layers separated by fill layers. The fill layers will be sterile dirt with nothing in it and the use layers will have the bottles and artifacts you are looking for. The hole will probably be 3x4 and can be as much as 15ft deep in our area. If you find it you will need a digging buddy, a rope and a five gallon bucket. Once you get down to about 8 feet the bucket is the only way to get the dirt out. Also as you go down keep the hole dug out to all four sides, ( you will be able to tell the difference ) . It is very tempting to dig a smaller hole and then tunnel around the use layers , but DO NOT DO IT ... A cave in can KILL YOU. I hope this info is helpful to you ,, Good Luck and be safe..
I am up in Natchez, only a hour and a half away , if the house is 1900 or earlier and you need a hand with the dig let me know.

Thanks for the tips! Where are you located? I am not sure but I would imagine the house is late 1800's early 1900's.

Turn of the century pits will have lots of embossed bottles and if your lucky a marked whiskey jug or two. 1880's and older are the best ones. 1916 and newer not so good....
If the home is in a downtown area I may be able to get u a Sandborn map of the location that will actually show you exactly where the privy is.

She lived out of the town of mindenhall, I believe it is Simpson county. Cambells creek rd I think. I remember when I was a kid I played with a jug of Wheaties and buffalo heads. When I wouldn't pick them up she swept them out the side door. I know there are probably a lot of roofing nails around the edges of the house. I'm thinking I might take about a inch of soil off the top before detecting it. My dad is going to meet me there and show me where he thinks the outhouse and well were. Also tells me their is a even older house site across the street that is woods now. Anyways, loading up the truck now! Trying to get there with some time to hunt. I am actually bringing my old digital camera this trip, I hope to have something to post when I get back Monday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back