inspectorgadget
Hero Member
- Joined
- Jul 14, 2012
- Messages
- 924
- Reaction score
- 431
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Indianapolis
- Detector(s) used
- Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
- #1
Thread Owner
There is an old quarry that is almost famous (was used in a movie in 1979). Was also the quarry the Empire State building limestone came from! This quarry was heavily used by swimmers & cliff divers in the 40's, 50's & early 60's.
In the later 60's it turned into a hippie, nudist hangout spot with lots of drugs & orgies going on there. It was made off limits by the owners & the police in the late 60's or early 70's but still to this day people swim & dive there just no big parties anymore. I've been to the quarry several times over the past 20 years & there is always some people back in it swimming & diving. The quarry was & still is frequented by locals & students (in the know) of the local university which is a big time school. The location of the quarry is very hidden, it's far from streets/roads & isn't well known to anybody outside of the small city its in.
Has anyone ever detected the bottom of a quarry still full of water, like 4ft deep up to 30ft or so deep with a solid rock (limestone) bottom. The water in this quarry is very clear & blue, definitely not murky or dirty water at all. Visibility is almost endless like at a pool, at least 25ft or more. I would bet no one has ever detected the bottom of this huge quarry & with the amount of traffic it once had I would think the bottom would hold a lot of items.
What's some input you guys have on this subject? Say I get permission from the owners (which I'm sure isn't impossible). With some scuba gear & a good submersible detector I think you could clean up especially in the deep areas (which is most of it). No digging would be involved because its a solid rock bottom with maybe some slight silt but not enough you would need to dig anything.
Any opinions, thoughts or tips?
In the later 60's it turned into a hippie, nudist hangout spot with lots of drugs & orgies going on there. It was made off limits by the owners & the police in the late 60's or early 70's but still to this day people swim & dive there just no big parties anymore. I've been to the quarry several times over the past 20 years & there is always some people back in it swimming & diving. The quarry was & still is frequented by locals & students (in the know) of the local university which is a big time school. The location of the quarry is very hidden, it's far from streets/roads & isn't well known to anybody outside of the small city its in.
Has anyone ever detected the bottom of a quarry still full of water, like 4ft deep up to 30ft or so deep with a solid rock (limestone) bottom. The water in this quarry is very clear & blue, definitely not murky or dirty water at all. Visibility is almost endless like at a pool, at least 25ft or more. I would bet no one has ever detected the bottom of this huge quarry & with the amount of traffic it once had I would think the bottom would hold a lot of items.
What's some input you guys have on this subject? Say I get permission from the owners (which I'm sure isn't impossible). With some scuba gear & a good submersible detector I think you could clean up especially in the deep areas (which is most of it). No digging would be involved because its a solid rock bottom with maybe some slight silt but not enough you would need to dig anything.
Any opinions, thoughts or tips?







... Now I must say that particular quarry is not even an average quarry for Indiana it's about the best one in the state that I've ever seen so they all aren't that way here either. A lot of Washington DC's monuments & buildings limestone came from the other quarries on the same property. Much of it was used in Indianapolis as well, 







