Anyone ever stumble into lithic artifacts off FL?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Doing a bit of reading, about Paleoindian people in FL and the variability of sea levels during different time periods.
A couple weeks ago, a nice lady posted on social media that she was walking in the surf and had what was clearly a Dalton-type point wash up in the surf (which, of course, she naturally left in the surf in compliance with FL law :icon_scratch: )

Scallop fisherman dredged up 23,000 year old butchered mastodon bones in conjunction with lithic artifacts off the coast of VA some years back.

We have a pretty high density of guys here who've spent an awful lot of time looking at the ocean bottom, near shore. Just wondering if anyone TH'ing ever stumbled into any lithic objects in the Atlantic or Gulf side drink?

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know west of the Kennedy Space Center there are mounds made by ancient peoples. These mounds were made simply by casting clam shells in the same place over time. I believe these Indians were called the "Ais". I never heard of any artifacts being recovered. I don't like getting out of the boat anyways, too many alligators. My understanding is that they lived on these mounds after a period of time, but I can't imagine it with the mosquitos and snakes.

OP
OP
LM

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeah there are a bunch of shell middens around Homosassa, too.

I'm thinking specifically about artifacts that are discovered underwater, in an area that may have once been dry.
I completely agree, looking at places like Lake George, etc that had a lot of paleoindian habitation, to think they lived among those snakes, mosquitoes and alligators, it's insane.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found part of a human index finger bone thats petrified on vero beach several years ago.Possibly belonging to a vero beach man that stood over 7 feet tall.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I had to look up the term "lithic" since they never mentioned that word...not even ONCE! in engineering school (or since). If you are like me, I'll save you the trouble of looking it up...it means 'pertaining to or made of stone'.

Fisheye - perhaps you should call the Vero Beach cop shop and ask if they have any old Pleistocene basketballers that might be missing a finger. 7' tall is TALL...

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i contacted that vero beach historical group and told them i found a petrified human finger bone the anthropologist i talked to said to take it to the vero beach police dept to see if it belonged to a murder victim,i had to laff at her and tell her you mean a murder victim from 20,000 years ago?Geez what do they teach these students in college these days to come up with that kind of a remark.I took the bone to a anthropologist in gainsville and he said that it is a petrified human index finger bone.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the Gainesville anthropologist is wrong and it's a middle finger? That would make the 20,000 year old murder victim 20% shorter, say 5' 7". That would make sense.

That would mean you got a middle finger from 20,000 years ago.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the Gainesville anthropologist is wrong and it's a middle finger? That would make the 20,000 year old murder victim 20% shorter, say 5' 7". That would make sense.

That would mean you got a middle finger from 20,000 years ago.

You're his first fan club "member" in 20,000 years! Arf!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread