What's new

apple sizer?

taz42o

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2008
Messages
2,200
Reaction score
1,457
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
My buddy owns a very old, big ,two story brick building near railroad tracks the tracks have been gone for decades. Ive been told the building was used for apple storage before being shipped out on train. very thick walls , no windows. there is piles of apple crates and also a machine that has a v belt pulley on the side, what drove it im not sure but it is wood frame and has a large leather flat belt that has holes a few inches in Dia. I believe it is for separating apples by size. My question is, Does anyone know what it would be called or any info at all on it. I cant get a good pic there is no lights and as i said no windows. Ive tried to seach online but have very little time these days and dont have a name to search.
 
maybe apple sorter, my grandfather had a potato sorter that sounds similar to what you are describing. the thing was huge and was used to sort potatos by size.
 
Upvote 0
It sounds like it could be for sorting apples .

how wide is the leather belt with the holes in it ?

I worked as an apple picker back in 1983 , I never set foot in the sorting barn , but it was important that the apples did not get bruised during the handling process . We each had our own 4X4 foot wooden bin with our personal worker number on it . If I had a high number bruisies - the supervisor would find me in the orchard , and yell at me . I worked with mostly Jamaican guys , they were great , we had some "high times" during lunch break ;D

It makes sense the leather would be used as a base for sorting
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom