Archaeological Dig...

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I compiled some photos together to show you of a dig that was done on my hubby's property in Oct 1998 on the Outer Banks of NC.

My husband and his brother were both given, upon the death of their father, 2 parcels of land. This land has been in his family for nearly 150 years. We have even seen the original document where the land was owned by the Indians and given to a man named FARROW.

My brother in law sold his land nearly 30 years ago (dummy). His was across the street from my hubby's. The two lots on the south side of hubby's property once belonged to his great aunt. Upon her death, she left them to a niece and nephew, who in turned sold them. We met the couple who purchased both lots. They are from CT and are in the process of bldg a home on the two lots. Hubbys property has yet to be built on and has been in it's natural state for nearly 50 years, if not longer.

Back in 1998, a man named Fred Willard, contacted my hubby about having digs done on his property, to be conducted under Dr. David Phelps. Hubby agreed and the pics below are the outcome. More digs were scheduled, but never followed through, for one reason or another, funding mostly.

I wish we could have said we found these, but we can't....but it's still totally awesome to have these found on hubby's property and recorded!!!

They believe that this property was the center of the Croatain Indians, or a part of the village.

There was listed, on ship manifest...a Master Kendall and an Captain Kendall. Can't remember which name said the first name was Abraham....anyways, Dr. Phelps used his contacts in England and they traced this particular ring back to Abraham Kendall...they believe both Master and Captain Kendall's are one in the same...as they were each listed on two separate ship manifest at different times. England has great records on seals and such!!!

But wanted to share with ya'll....if I can find where hubby put the other photos of other items they found, I will scan and post.

Thanks for looking!!!!!!!

HH..........Ann

Attachments

• ring dig 1a.jpg
    ring dig 1a.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 792
  • ring dig 2a.jpg
    ring dig 2a.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 812
  • ring dig 3a.jpg
    ring dig 3a.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 802

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Fantastic story and well laid out post Ann, thank you. You and hubby should continue the dig, never know what else may be found!

kenb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Now that you mention it Muddyknees someone posted a thread on that subject not long ago, and I believe your right.

kenb

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Muddyknees....yes, the one in the same. By the way, the ring and some other artifacts have been returned to ECU....we are still trying to make some time to get down there to view it. It will be the first time since 1998 that we have seen the ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we have thought that too....we were at the property back in April...but we plan to go back when it cools down some (Skeeters are horrible there....horseflies are small compared to the skeeters LMAO)...anyways, wait for some of the brush to go down and all and get in there with our metal detectors. But we want to be careful....because a dig has been done on the property, we need to be careful that if we detect somewhere, we secure the area as an archaeologist would or try too....with being around Dr. Phelps and his team and down to ECU's Archaeological Dept....we have some insight on how to properly dig the earth. Whew....hope we don't mess up some important stuff!!!

HH......Ann

PS: that was me who made a post earlier on this site about this dig....just thought I would show pics of it now :)

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. By all means, continue the dig on your own if you have to. Great post!!!!
Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread