What's new

Archaic copper awl, a scraper & pottery

Hot diggity

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2014
Messages
447
Reaction score
333
Golden Thread
0
Archaic copper awl, a scraper & pottery

A friend & I spent a few hours at our favorite native site last week. It wasn't a scorcher & I only saw 1 mosquito which I squished with extreme prejudice. A great time to dig. No points, but he used a metal detector while I dug for stone & pottery to give us a little diversity in our draft. He's got an ear for REALLY old copper & earned 1st pick with a nice copper find. I was happy to pick the awl 2nd. This was my half of the dig. A decent scraper (half the edge is worked/other half didn't need it) & a nice "new" pottery design I hope to find more of. Hh
 

Attachments

  • 1470385356317.webp
    1470385356317.webp
    74.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 1470385380702.webp
    1470385380702.webp
    26 KB · Views: 165
  • 1470385422538.webp
    1470385422538.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 1470385436224.webp
    1470385436224.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't fully understand what a jaw (or Jew's) harp was or just how brittle the tongue was until I tried to rinse it under water & lightly brush it with an old toothbrush. Broke immediately. Ouch. Lesson learned. My friend found a brass one at this spot earlier this year so if a third shows up I ain't touching it.
 

Attachments

  • 1470386268843.webp
    1470386268843.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 126
Sorry. Double post. Said the first didn't send so I re-sent.
 
Last edited:
Again. Sorry about that
Edit: If a mod happens across this & my other one right above, feel free to delete both. Thanks in advance?
 

Attachments

  • 1470386483906.webp
    1470386483906.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Those are great finds! I've never seen that design either on the pottery I find and would love to know about it. So sorry about breaking the harp and know exactly how you feel since I found a real cool pottery shard a few months ago and washed it like I've always done and it broke in half, I almost cried and it made me sick.
 
Nice finds you made...good job! May your hunts all be productive ones!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom